Music Hall artists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Hall artists?

Is there any way of finding any more about these? I have a Lily Bathie ms Jackson who is 19 and married in 1901 and described herself as a music hall artist. I suspect her career may not have gone on much longer as her first child was born in April that year but wondered if there was anything I could do with this.
    Asa

Try looking in the wiki?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

You could try 'The Stage' newspaper archive.

Free to search but pay to view.
      Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

You can contact the The British Music Hall Society - they have their own website and an archives historian. Good luck - Val

Comment

Thank you very much:-) I'll have a look at that later.
          Asa

Comment

I too have a ancestor, a great uncle, who was "on the stage" as the family termed it. He goes missing after 1912 so I will be looking at the sites suggested to get any ideas.

Thank you Asa for putting this thread up.

Comment

The Stage archive has been very useful to me. My great uncle was a comedian appearing in pantomimes etc through the first 3 or 4 decades of the 20th century and his reviews and adverts in the "engagements wanted" section gave me a detailed coverage of where he was appearing and his home addresses. One word of caution my uncle was probably not alone in using a stage name "Bert Elmore" rater than his own name, Albert Eldridge. if I hadn't already seen a postcard picture of him, giving the stage name, I would have searched in vain
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                The Stage archive has been very useful to me. My great uncle was a comedian appearing in pantomimes etc through the first 3 or 4 decades of the 20th century and his reviews and adverts in the "engagements wanted" section gave me a detailed coverage of where he was appearing and his home addresses. One word of caution my uncle was probably not alone in using a stage name "Bert Elmore" rater than his own name, Albert Eldridge. if I hadn't already seen a postcard picture of him, giving the stage name, I would have searched in vain
                This is what I feel I may come acrosss with my great uncle. His name was Alfred George Newey but he just disappears. I reckon he was using a stage name and just became known as that. Mind you, I haven't had chance to search those sites yet.

Comment

One word of caution my uncle was probably not alone in using a stage name "Bert Elmore" rater than his own name, Albert Eldridge

Spooky. Crippen's wife Cora used the name Belle Elmore in her singing "career"!!!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes Nell, I came across a couple of mentions of Belle when searching for Bert. Don't THINK he knew the Crippens I believe he started off performing with a couple of his sisters, and made the name Elmore out of his own and his brother in law's surnames - Eldridge and Passmore.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Glad it helped, Margaret

Thanks, Judith - I've emailed the site Val found because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on Lily as I don't think it's likely she was known as Lily Jackson:-)
                      Asa

Comment

The old Music Halls

HI,
                        I am also looking to find out what my Grandmother did in the music halls.
                        Her name was Eleanor Craig and lived in South Shields 1895. Eleanor started with a troop called Charbourne juniors at the age of 14, also in the troop was Gracie Fields at a similar age. So far thats all I have been able to find out. Not much on the internet at all. My mother had a Photo of the troop and sent it to Gracie Fields but did not get it back. It would be nice to find out anything about my Grandmother all I know is she used to do Cameos and chorus line. If anyone can help put me on the right track it would be great.
                        Cheers Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by willowmac View Post
                          HI,
                          I am also looking to find out what my Grandmother did in the music halls.
                          Her name was Eleanor Craig and lived in South Shields 1895. Eleanor started with a troop called Charbourne juniors at the age of 14, also in the troop was Gracie Fields at a similar age. So far thats all I have been able to find out. Not much on the internet at all. My mother had a Photo of the troop and sent it to Gracie Fields but did not get it back. It would be nice to find out anything about my Grandmother all I know is she used to do Cameos and chorus line. If anyone can help put me on the right track it would be great.
                          Cheers Paul.
                          Have you seen this in Google books?

Vaudeville, Old & New: An ... - Google Book Search

At the end of page 380 it talks about "Charburn's Young Stars"

Jackie
                          Jackie

Comment

Charburns

Hi Jackie,
                            I will take a look at the Site, Thanks for the reply.
                            Cheers Paul.

Comment

Lily Bathie nee Jackson

Originally posted by Asa View Post
                              Is there any way of finding any more about these? I have a Lily Bathie ms Jackson who is 19 and married in 1901 and described herself as a music hall artist. I suspect her career may not have gone on much longer as her first child was born in April that year but wondered if there was anything I could do with this.
                              This lady was my aunt. If you can contact me and let me know your connection I can help

Kind regards
                              Amy

Comment

Hi,

I'm trying to find any information on Charburn's Young Stars. My grandmother was born in 1896 and was an actress and singer from a young age and first joined
                                Charburn's Young Stars. When she left them it was in the middle of a production and the girl who took her place was Gracie Fields. Does anyone know where about
                                Charburn's Young Stars were based? I keep seeing reference to them being in the North-East of England but my grandmother was from London but I guess she could
                                have moved North.

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you.

Lyn Rennick

Comment

Hello Lyn. Welcome to FTF!

This thread hasn't been active for some time - but it's probably well worth adding your query to it, since the topic is quite generally worded.

I'd quite like to find some help, myself, to find some trace of Elizabeth MURDY (b 1861q2 Scarboro'; m 1879q4 Durham Central, to William RAINE), who is reputed to have been "a singer on the stage" using the name "Nellie something". She belongs in my DiL's tree. I'm not sure where to start, unless we can find at least a surname!

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the welcome.

This is it, years ago those who were on the stage called it just that, being "on the stage". It didn't quite have the same importance about it just being "on the stage"...but it was just the way they described it. I know my nan did acting, singing and dancing and worked in many theatres up and down the country but I cant find anything on the Internet at all. I know she worked under different names and know a few of them, Jenny Danvers, Jane Danvers, Jenny Schwartz and there were a few others but cant find a thing. :-( I did however, find a photo of Charburn's Young Stars which had been sold on eBay but it was an old sale from September..and I'd missed it! It was really upset as my grandmother was in the photo. I downloaded the photo from the eBay but it would have been nice to have had the original which had been in postcard form. I contacted the seller but he hadn't a clue who he sold it to. It didn't sell when it was on its own so he put it into one of many bundles of photos he sold and didn't know who got it. :-(

It's a shame you cant find a surname for the person you are looking for.

Lyn

Comment

Hi Asa, I have her in my line-up too and was trying to find out more about her. You may have since found out yourself that she was still treading the boards in 1911 according to the census.

Comment

Working...
                                      X