Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 25th September 2008 is.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of WDWTYA? 25th September 2008 is.....

holcan

Well Done!!!

Well done Holcan and good luck..

]

Comment

Thanks.
      That's brilliant.Must be my lucky day.
      Just returned fron Residents Meeting where I won a Bottle of Wine and now find this.
      Do I post my brick wall on this thread.
      Thanks again

Comment

Yep, fire away!

Comment

My 3X great grandfather William Small was born in Sale Moor, Cheshire c1826 according to 1851,1861 & 1871 Census.
          He married Maria Owen 1/1/1847 at Stretford and listed his father as William a Farmer.
          He died 1873 in Manchester

My problem is that I cannot find a baptism for him either in Sale Moor or surrounding area.
          I have visited Chester RO and Manchester Central Library but still cannot find a link.
          Anybody have any suggestions

Michael

Comment

Have you looked at any non-conformist registers as well as C of E?

Comment

Yes Merry I have tried those I can find.
              There was only one in Sale Moor and he wasnot in that

Comment

I found a William Small baptised at HALE and SHAWS LANE PRESBYTERIAN, Altrincham, Cheshire 16/3/1804 and wondered if this was William's(1826) father. But how do I prove it.
                Also found a marriage of William Small to Phoebe 20/4/1829-but this would be after William's birth.
                I keep going round in circles

Comment

Phebe and Wm Small are on the 1841 in Stretford. The eldest child recorded is Joseph aged 10 and Wm and Phebe are recorded as "above 20".

Comment

Yes I have seen that but I cannot progress it.
                    If they were Williams parents he could easily have left home in 1841

Comment

You could look to see if their children on the 1841 census were baptised. I guess you have looked for baptisms in Phebe's maiden name.

Have you traced Wm and Phebe forward to see what occ Wm has later? (though an ag lab described as a farmer on a marriage cert isn't uncommon!)

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                        You could look to see if their children on the 1841 census were baptised. I guess you have looked for baptisms in Phebe's maiden name.

Have you traced Wm and Phebe forward to see what occ Wm has later? (though an ag lab described as a farmer on a marriage cert isn't uncommon!)
                        He is described as Labourer then Carter Then Coal Dealer and always from Ashley which is where William's (baptised 1804) father lived at time of baptism.
                        I have also traced many of Phoebe's and William's children but there is never any link back to my William c1824

Comment

Just to say congratrulation dear knock those walls down ;;;;
                          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I have someone from Sale Moor in OH's tree, born about 1822, and I haven't found his baptism either! Not much help, I know!
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Perhaps I should add that Sale Moor was extremely close to the Lancashire border, so one problem is not knowing whether he would have been baptised in Cheshire or Lancashire!
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                Perhaps I should add that Sale Moor was extremely close to the Lancashire border, so one problem is not knowing whether he would have been baptised in Cheshire or Lancashire!
                                In my searches I have also established that Sale Moor then was where Sale Town Centre is now.
                                I believe the River Mersey was the dividing line and at the time it was not that easy to cross!!
                                Have tried most churches in and around area.
                                Non Conformist's are a problem trying to find the records whereabouts.
                                Any hints
                                Last edited by holcan; 26-09-08, 08:47.

Comment

If you've found the other baptims of children of the marriage - perhaps there's a page missing or illegible so hasn't been transcribed.

I've got that in one of mine - several pages have been damaged but the rest of the book is perfect.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

congratulations enjoy your week they will exhaust you lol brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                                      If you've found the other baptims of children of the marriage - perhaps there's a page missing or illegible so hasn't been transcribed.

I've got that in one of mine - several pages have been damaged but the rest of the book is perfect.
                                      Whilst i have been able to find marriages for some of William and Phoebe's Children I have found No baptisms.
                                      Witnesses at the weddings do not help either, other to confirm that they are William and Phoebe's children.

The missing link is to join my William(1826) to this family.

Comment

have u thought maybe your family wasn't baptised?
                                        it looks like that for some of my ancestors

Comment

Working...
                                        X