Hatch Court, Hatch Beauchamp, nr Taunton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatch Court, Hatch Beauchamp, nr Taunton

I suppose its really local knowledge I'm after (are you there Vivienne?) but someone else might know...

Sorry this is a quickie - I can probably find out eventually from the 'net, but perhaps someone "in the know" can save me hours of going round in circles...

I gather there is a church "attached" to the hall - St John the Baptist. Any idea if it would have been used by all the locals or just the family from the hall & their servants? And anyone know if it has its own set of PRs or are they included with another parish?

I'm asking because I've stumbled/googled across a monument "in memory of John Symes ..... died 1798, servant .... of John Collins Esq for Upwards of 34 years"

just wondered whether I can claim him as "mine" - I'm looking for someone who died between 1794(ish) and 1806, who left family who are baptised in Shepton Beauchamp between 1780-1794, and a possible marriage in Puckington in 1769. As there aren't many Somerset records on-line I'm probably missing a lot of information, and I am also aware that its a fairly common name in those parts.

back later, just about to tuck into homemade blackberry & apple crumble, courtesy of the local hedgerows
    Vicky

this might help?
    The village of Hatch Beauchamp, Nr Taunton, Somerset.
    or this http://www.weavo.co.uk/hatch/hatch.htm
    Last edited by tessie31082; 25-09-08, 20:07.

Comment

thank you tessie, that seems to answer my questions
      Vicky

Comment

Hi Vicky,

I've only just seen this & as you know I'm not mobile at the moment but as soon as I can get around I'm happy to help where possible.
        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

thanks for the offer Vivienne, I just wanted to pick your brains really. I don't actually think it's my chap as he's a little too old. But I wouldn't be surprised to find he's a cousin or something.
          I really must make an effort to get to the RO & do some serious trawling. There's so much I need to look at I couldn't possibly ask anyone to do it for me, I'm after 4 separate lines from both my parents sides.

Its just so frustrating that they seemed to move around between villages, and as yet there's no central database, so I'm having to check each parish individually as & when it gets put online.

Mind you, I find it fascinating that both of my supposed Northern families had deep roots in such a small area.

You just concentrate on building up your strength
          Vicky

Comment

Working...
          X