Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conerty became Duncan became Robertson became Donnachie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conerty became Duncan became Robertson became Donnachie?

The following website gives an early brief history of the Donnachies.

Connerty - Genealogy message board - MyHeritage

Can anyone comment on the veracity of the history. I have no reason to doubt it but would like to check. I have tried to contact the author but without success.

Hugo

Well it makes interesting reading Hugo - I wonder where he got his information from.
    Not sure how you have tried to contact him but he seems to have a tree on Ancestry One World Tree, which gives his email address.
    Elaine

Comment

There is something about the style of the narrative that reminds me of that surname site, which is American-based, can't remember its name, sorry - House of Names, or something?

I haven't a clue how you could prove/disprove this - Scottish/Irish genealogy is notoriously difficult, due to the changing of names and the use of patronymics.

OC

Comment

Thanks Elaine,

I too am wondering where he got his information. Some of it matches

How do I get to his tree in One World Tree? Do I have to be logged in to Ancestry?

Without logging-in, I see there is a Conerty tree but don't see any related email address. I might be missing something.

Hugo

Comment

OC,

Don't expect to find a direct family link that far back; currently I am having trouble getting beyond about 1840!

However, I would like to know what the historical basis and evidence is for his outline history. I suppose it is more a question of early Scottish history than my genealogy.

Hugo

Comment

You need to log into Ancestry.
            Click on the Home tab
            In the search box enter the names Margaret Trainer (I chose this name out of the list of names he had on the other website as it seemed the one less likely to be spelt in a different way!)

When you get the results shown, click on the Family Trees tab, and you will see that there are two entries for this name on the One World Tree.
            Click on the second one (where the spouse is Charles Walter Connerty)

On the right hand side of the page, under Historical Records, you will see the wording
            * 1 User-submitted trees

Click on that.

On the next page, click on the name Margaret Trainer and it will bring up the tree in which she appears.
            The submitters email address is at the top of the page.

The tree was submitted in August 2005 so it may well be an old email address, but nevertheless worth trying.
            Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I will try and 'sneak' into Ancestry just now, even though it is past my bedtime.

Hugo

Comment

Elaine,

Got it. Also learnt a little more about Ancestry.

Thanks.

Happy Hugo

Comment

I like the list of Robertsons at the end! Even if some of the Connerty / Donnachie clan changed their name to Robertson, it doesn't follow that all Robertsons are descended from them!
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

KiteRunner,

Sorry if I gave that impression. I was aware I was sacrificing exactitude for brevity and, I hoped, clarity. Family names were more fluid then; moving to another area could mean the adoption of the new Clan or Sept name.

Hugo

Comment

No, I mean on that website - they seem to be claiming on that website that all Robertsons are descended from the Connerty / Donnachie clan. You were asking for comments on the veracity of the history - I would say that if whoever is responsible for that website has listed every famous Robertson they could find as being descended from the Connerty family, their regard for accuracy may not be very high, and I would say everything you find on that site would need to be checked elsewhere.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

" . . their regard for accuracy may not be very high, and I would say everything you find on that site would need to be checked elsewhere."

That's all right then.

You are quite right, and I would like to check the sources. Even then it will be a family/surname possible background, but interesting.

Which raises the question - why did some of the clan become known by a different surname?

Hugo

Comment

Still not able to contact the author; no reply to email.

However, having looked at the Hall of Names, I am fairly sure that was where it came from as one of their family history scrolls.

I read on another, Irish, site that the HoN had been discredited by an Irish court in one of the family histories which was introduced as evidence.

Sadly, the 'history' remains an unverified tale.

Hugo

Comment

Hugo

Yes, sadly, Hall of Names is not known for its accuracy.

The question of differing surnames... Scottish surnames were even more fluid than English ones, and that's saying something, lol.

I read a bit about this (having Scottish ancestry myself) and it would appear that someone could have four, five, six names, all depending on who they were talking to, or who was talking about them.

In a village full of Alexander MacDonalds, there had to be way of distinguishing them, so they might use patronymics - Alexander MacDonald MacHuish (Alexander son of Donald, son of Huish) and so on. So your Duncan would have been Duncan, son of Robert, and Donnachie is some kind of Gaelic rendering of son of Duncan. The eldest son would probably have gone on as "son of Robert"

When people became more settled in the 1800s (and less likely to go clan fighting, lol), they stuck with a name, which might just be the most recent they were known by.

This is why I am always astonished when people can get their Scottish ancestors back hundreds of years - I don't know how they can do it, especially if they were Highlanders!

OC

Comment

it helps if your ancestors had common clan names. i've got matheson, mckenzie, mclennan, and mcdonald in my family tree. the most difficlt are mcdonald and mcfarlane though.

but there are long, oral family trees that people all over the world have been told, because every1 agrees with a majority of the matheson genealogies.

plus, in the 19th century, a few scottish mathesons wrote a genealogy of the clan, going down to the 1880's, when they wrote the book. unfortunately the book is rare, but i heard they weree reprinting it, and adding the descendants were they stopped in 1880!!

Comment

oh, kylejustin, beware of Victorian genealogies!

There was a huge fashion for a genealogy in Victorian times and naturally there were people very happy to supply a genealogy. Doesn't mean it is accurate.

You can usually tell though, by the way the book is written. If it states names and specific dates, or goes into explanations as to why they think this John was the man, then at least you have got a scholarly work.

But I have seen other Victorian genealogies which are made up out of sheer fantasy, to please the person paying for it.

A book, any book, is no more likely to be accurate than any other document - it all depends on how much proof is demonstrated, otherwise it isn't worth a light.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                X