cannot open attachments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannot open attachments

Since I had my computer reinstalled I find that I cannot open attachments.I use Outlook Express and Windows xp.I get the message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel"
    I don't know how to do this.Will sks please tell me?It needs to be step by step!!!
    Fran
    ps Will be back later to see if there are any replies

What are the attachments you have? ie pdf files or jpg files.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

How will I know what they are Wendy?

Comment

Look at the file name and after the dot it will say jpg or pdf or something else.
        Wendy

Comment

Just had a look at a few and it says"Unknown File Type"

Comment

Sorry, without a file type I can't help.

Perhaps you could ask the person who sent them to you to resend them as a pdf or jpg file.
            Wendy

Comment

Thanks anyway Wendy

Comment

Have just found another attachment which says the file type is Windows Media (TM) Movie

Comment

Have just found another attachment which says the file type is Windows Media (TM) Movie

right click on file and open with .......... windows media player

Comment

Thanks for reply Augustus.I right click on attachment,that is when it tells me it is windows media and if I would like to open it.When I click on open it tells me I do not have a prog. associated etc.At the top it says"C:\Documents and Settings\New user\Local settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\PNST.
                    Is that any help in identifying what is wrong?
                    Fran

Comment

Hi Fran,

When you right click , does it not give you an option to " Open with ..... " ?

Mike

Comment

No Mike,it just gives me the options to open,print,save.

Comment

I saved in my documents and then tried to open it.I was given the option to search the web to find the appropriate programme.This took me to a page which said the file type was Power Point Document File.File Extension pps.

Comment

You need the Microsoft PowerPoint program to open that.

However, I think there's a free PowerPoint viewer you can download.

Comment

Here is the download link
                              Download details: PowerPoint Viewer 2007
                              It is a 25mb download

Researching:
                              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Mary and Trevor,thank you.I have downloaded that,at least I must have done as it is on the list of all programs!The attachment I saved in my documents I can now view,but when I go to Outlook Express nothing has changed.Does this mean that every time I have an attachment I have to save it and then view?Or have I done something wrong.Will look in later for responses.
                                Fran

Comment

TM is not a usual file extension, it's very rarely used for standard file types.

I need to know what the file type is, what is the full file name including the extension.

The extension is the bit after the full stop at the end of the file name such as fredsmith.jpg or letter.doc once I know the file extension we can tell you what to do.
                                  Best Wishes
                                  Ron
                                  www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

That TM is just the trademark sign, surely, Ron?

Comment

I don't use IE or OE, so I'm not very familiar with them, but here's something you could try:

In Outlook Express, go to Options - Protection. If the box entitled "Do not allow saving or opening of attachments that could contain viruses" is ticked, untick it (I think it stops you from opening all attachments). I've translated these commands from my Italian version of OE, so the wording may be slightly different in your version. Only untick that command if you have an antivirus program, obviously.

Comment

tried doing that Mary,but no luck.I also noted that restricted site zones(more secure)is ticked.The other option is internet zones which says(less secure but more functional).Also ticked is,block images and other external content inHTML e-mail.Is this how it should be?
                                        Ron,I don't know how to find the information you want.Sorry to be so computer illiterate.
                                        Fran

Comment

Working...
                                        X