William John Laker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William John Laker

A Major Brickwall for my grandfather William, cannot find him on any census anywhere... upto and including 1901....any suggestions as to where I could look next? Would be so very grateful for any advice at all..

William John Laker birth year circa 1871 - location unknown...

William died 19th September 1920- 80, Commonwealth Road, Caterham, Surrey. have death certificate aged 49 years..

Williams wife Elizabeth Ann nee Green born Ilkeston Derby 1877 was the informant...

They married in 1898 29th May Bethany Hall Croydon Road, Caterham, Surrey.Have marriage certificate.

two children were born before the 1901 census they are:-

Elizabeth's daughter before marriage:-Mary Ann Elizabeth Green 27th January 1896 1 Flint Cottages Caterham have birth cert. father unknown...died 14th July 1969 Caterham, Surrey. Have birth certificate.

Elizabeth Fanny Laker born 19th April 1899 3 Merstham Terrace Caterham.
    died July 1949 Surrey SE

All other children including my father were born after the 1901 census.

It is am mystery to me.....

thanks for your time

dottie

Hi Dottie
    Welcome to family tree Forum
    Do you know the name of Williams parents?
    Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 25-09-08, 16:42.
    GWEN

Comment

There is a William John Laker born June qtr 1869, Horsham, Sussex on FreeBMD
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

thanks Gwen for your warm welcome.......

Williams father was also named William Laker occupation seaman (deceased) - information taken from Marriage Certificate of William and Elizabeth..

No information on mother at all :(.....

This is an enigma..... believe me.......no trace on the census of any of the family at all.. after marriage....

Elizabeth was easy to find...and have travelled far back on her side......

dottie

Comment

1891 Census but different father!

RG12; Piece: 760; Folio 55; Page 51
          Wendy

Comment

What was William's occupation on marriage certificate to Elizabeth?
            Elaine

Comment

There's a Mr Laker, Mrs Laker and Infant Laker (aged under 1) sailed to Portland USA April 1900. But if their other children were born in the UK they must have made a very quick return if it is them!
              Sue

Comment

Wonder if this is him in 1891 with mother Ellen and Step father John Walter

RG12; Piece: 830; Folio 37; Page 5
                Fiona. xx

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                  There is a William John Laker born June qtr 1869, Horsham, Sussex on FreeBMD
                  Hi Wendy - gosh that was quick .

Checked this one out already parents were Phillip Laker and Elizabeth.

Believe me when I say I have a list as long as your arm of all discounted William John Lakers ie incorrect father etc.,

Comment

1881 Step father again

RG11; Piece: 793; Folio: 13; Page: 19
                    Fiona. xx

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      What was William's occupation on marriage certificate to Elizabeth?
                      Hi Elaine,

Labourer - well couldn't be anything else could he:D....

believe me I have struggled and struggled and spent hours looking for him..

Comment

Who were the witnesses on William and Elizabeth's marriage certificate?
                        Fiona. xx

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                          There's a Mr Laker, Mrs Laker and Infant Laker (aged under 1) sailed to Portland USA April 1900. But if their other children were born in the UK they must have made a very quick return if it is them!
                          :D Oh Sue, yes must have been a flying visit, the other children were:-

1906 - 1993 Harriett Rose Laker
                          1908 – 1993 Edith Annie Laker
                          1909 - 1986 Beatrice Alice Laker
                          1913 - 1983 George Edward Laker (my father)
                          –

Comment

Originally posted by fiona c View Post
                            1881 Step father again

RG11; Piece: 793; Folio: 13; Page: 19

That one has a father george in 1871

RG10; Piece: 825; Folio: 87; Page: 4
                            Wendy

Comment

Wonder if this is him in 1891 with mother Ellen and Step father John Walter

RG12; Piece: 830; Folio 37; Page 5
                              Have all this information too.... I've travelled down this road....step father mistranscibed as Walter should be Waller.. Have checked out this family history tree website - found whilst googling.

I'm thorough believe me Fiona..It is such a mystery, but I thought a new pair of eyes, might see something I've missed.....

Comment

Who were the witnesses on William and Elizabeth's marriage certificate?
                                Fiona they were Mary Ann Skilton (have looked for matches or a tree on Ancestry - no joy) and Edward Green...

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey
                                  That one has a father george in 1871

RG10; Piece: 825; Folio: 87; Page: 4

Yes, just found that. Mind would have been to easy if he was William wouldn't it:D
                                  Fiona. xx

Comment

Too easy Fiona. We don't get easy on here!!!
                                    Wendy

Comment

I'd like to say a big, big thank you to everyone who has replied so amazingly quickly.....sometimes I think grandad is a figment of my imagination.lol...

I have also searched for grandad to try and find information through the Bedfordshire Regiment Private 23961 - have the Individual Roll Index, plus Medal Roll Index, have paid a visit to Kew Archives, and his service records were part of the "burnt records" - so no joy there...

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                                        Too easy Fiona. We don't get easy on here!!!
                                        Believe me you will end up banging your head against a brick wall.:(

What I do not understand is why there is no trace of William, Elizabeth and the daughter born before 1901.. would there be a specific reason that they were not included on this census, or do you think I should wait until the 1911 census is on line...

Comment

Working...
                                        X