Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I get if I order films from LDS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I get if I order films from LDS?

I have found some references to births and marriages on the IGI (pre-1837). Most of them are C/M batches, though there are the occassional FHL numbers.

Do the films show the images for these entries, or is there another step I have to take?

The films show the images of the original registers.

If both the parish registers and the bishop's transcripts for the same parish have been filmed, get the parish register.

Comment

So, the images would be of the actual entries, rather than just indexes?

Is there a way to tell the difference between the PRs and the BTs just by the batch numbers?

Comment

If you click on the library tab and search by place, you can find exactly what records are available, together with call number.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Having had a play with the library catalogue, I do find it remarkably unhelpful. Reepham, Norfolk parish records were deposited many years ago, except for a register for the period circa 1740 - 1812, which was kept in the church. The original films thus had a gap of 70 years. It looks as if this is the film LDS has, but they make no mention of the gap. In that instance, you would need the Archdeacon's transcripts as well (AND the Bishop's transcripts for the gaps in the ATs)
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I think I'm going to have to play with the site for a little while longer - in the library I keep coming up with other references every time I click on a link. May just end up emailing them about the FHL numbers, because each one references about 100 films. That would probably be the safest (and cheapest!!)

Comment

Margaret

I've used the films at the LDS center in London. Most of the parishes I have are tiny so there are often several parishes' baptism, marriage, banns and burials registers on one film. It's the original parish registers complete with all the additional comments in the margin, etc.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hopefully there will be lots of info on the films I want too. I'm looking at:

FHL 838729 (St Andrews, Holborn - birth 1803 - christening 1827)
                c029388 (same info as above)

c115342 Kintbury, Berkshire - birth 1813

c108521 Middleton by Pickering - birth 1834

FHL 991381 St Andrews, Hertford - birth 1803

Comment

It's the FHL numbers you need.

For example, for Kintbury, click on the Library tab and choose the Library Catalogue:

FamilySearch.org - Education

Then choose the Place Search, and enter Kintbury.

Follow the Kintbury link and click on Church Records, then on Parish Registers.

Finally, click on View Film Notes.

The year you want doesn't appear to have been filmed, so press the Back button and choose Bishop's Transcripts instead of Parish Registers.

Click on View Film Notes again.

The one you want is Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1813-1836 FHL BRITISH Film
                  Item 1.

Then do the same for the other parishes.

You then need to contact your local LDS centre, because you have to pay for the films in advance. If they don't have them at the centre, they'll have to send off for them.

Comment

Don't expect to find a huge amount of information, though. Parishes differ, but you probably won't get much more from Parish Registers than the father's full name, mother's Christian name, abode and father's occupation, plus the baptism date, and sometimes the birth date. Bishop's Transcripts sometimes have less information. You won't normally get the mother's maiden name.

Very old registers will have even less information - sometimes just the father's name.

Comment

The LDS film burials, but don't put them on family search. If you are looking at baptisms, check the burials as well, to ensure "your ancestor" didn't die as an infant.

It is said that Mormons ignored baptisms of children who died young, and this must be the case in some instances, but it is not a practice I have come across.

Comment

Thanks Mary and Pheonix.

At this point I'm just looking to get copies of the events for my records. Any extra info on them that I haven't already got will be a bonus. I will definitely check for burials - especially as these four are direct lines.

Comment

On the other hand, you might get this:

~Edward, born 2nd Jun, bapt 28 July 1823, son of Edward Whittaker, painter of Tinker Lane, and his wife Betty.

(That is just one I have stuck on a post-it note by my computer, I have hundreds more, some with even more detail including mother's maiden name)

OC

Comment

By the way, I wouldn't order all four films at once. It takes quite a while to look through them, especially if you're going to be looking for burials when you don't know the year. Just order one or two to start with.

Comment

Good idea Mary - since they are only open Tues, Wed and 1/2 day Saturdays and it takes me over an hour to get there. Also have an Irish census I am interested in. Just have to prioritize - decisions, decisions.........

OC - is that a good/helpful one, or not?

Comment

That's pretty usual for a post-1813 baptism, though they don't always give date of birth. They should be on the standard form which includes father's occupation and residence.
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Margaret

Yes, it was very helpful as the family appear in the 1841 at the same address!

I also have some wonderful non conformist records which give parents names, occupation, address and grandparents names!

One particular chapel arranged their records in family groups and the groups were updated with marriages, deaths, and births of grandchildren and scurrilous bits of gossip like " his child by Hannah Fish" and so on.

The wonderful thing about parish/church registers is that you never know what is going to be on them till you look.

OC

Comment

Hi Margaret

Don't order the Hertford one unless you have to, I sometimes get to Hertford RO & if you want to give me the details of name, date & where they were baptised I will look it up for you, save you ordering the film!

Joanie

Comment

Joan,

Thank you for your kind offer - I will definitely take you up on it. I will pm you tomorrow - past my bedtime right now.

Comment

Working...
                                      X