mccartie i have been stuck on this one for 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mccartie i have been stuck on this one for 3

years,is there anyway of finding who john mccartie came from ireland with in late 1850,s.he was born in mill street cork ireland 29/9/1846
    we know he was a boy abt 14 when he came to england when the potato famine was on,he worked in the metropoliton polce,as we have when he went there how long he served there as he was a inspector .he retired at the age of 47,he ws married to mary,the last address given was 67,loftus road,sheperds bush,london.

what boats came from ireland in 1860,s and would there be a passenger list,i beleive it went to liverpool.
    any snippets of help brenda xxx

Sorry, Bren, but there wouldn't be passenger lists for boats from Ireland to England as far as I know. But if you want his parents' names, his marriage certificate should give his father's name and occupation which should help?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

i think i will have to send for it where will i get the info from so i can order one i did get 2 for my side of the family but that was 2 years ago,i know i got the ref and order it on line,i dont know his wifes maiden name though. brenda xxx

Comment

Do you know Mary's maiden name, Bren?
        KiteRunner

Comment

they were married in England presumably? Abot when? did they have children, if so when was the first one born?

just having a look at possibles

Name: John McCartie
          1875 Marylebone
          Jan-Feb-Mar

John McCartie 1894 Apr-May-Jun Fulham
          Last edited by Jessbowbag; 25-09-08, 12:39.
          Jess

Comment

no i found 0n the 1881 england census a john mccarty married to a mary,this john was 46 and worked as a dock labourer,address was st,george in the east he came from cork ireland i was wondering if this was his parents with the name spelt wrong. but he was 46 and her 32 no children named but they could be living on there own.brenda xxxx

i also have found a marraige but not sure 1875 john mccartie i think this is trevors grandfather but no wifes name it is on free births and deaths england district marylebone 1837/1901 london middlesex volume 1a

i think she was mary curtis lol
            Last edited by Guest; 25-09-08, 12:42.

Comment

Do you have the birth certificates for any of his children?

Comment

Sounds as though there is a step missing then, Bren - you would be best to get a birth certificate for one of their children to find out the mother's name and then we can be sure of finding the right marriage.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                  they were married in England presumably? Abot when? did they have children, if so when was the first one born?

just having a look at possibles

Name: John McCartie
                  1875 Marylebone
                  Jan-Feb-Mar

John McCartie 1894 Apr-May-Jun Fulham
                  jess that the one i have just found i wonder brenda xxx

Comment

Brenda

The problem is that Ireland was considered part of Britian and they didn't bother with passengers' lists, plus you have the usual problem of misrecording as Mc/Mac Carthy/Carthie Carty/Carthy etc.

My husband's gt gt grandfather married as Dennis McCarthy. He is on 1851 census as James McCarty, 1861 as James McCarthy and then 1871 onwards is known as James Carter. But on his son's birth cert in 1866 (which took some tracking down!!!) he is listed as Dennis McCarthy.

I don't know where he was born - he says Holborn but I can't find a baptism. Similarly, his father was Callaghan McCarthy - but he could have come from anywhere in Ireland!
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

no certificates but i know he had some as i have a letter dated 1900 and 2 are on that,i also have paper cutting when he died and were he is intered brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                        Brenda

The problem is that Ireland was considered part of Britian and they didn't bother with passengers' lists, plus you have the usual problem of misrecording as Mc/Mac Carthy/Carthie Carty/Carthy etc.

My husband's gt gt grandfather married as Dennis McCarthy. He is on 1851 census as James McCarty, 1861 as James McCarthy and then 1871 onwards is known as James Carter. But on his son's birth cert in 1866 (which took some tracking down!!!) he is listed as Dennis McCarthy.

I don't know where he was born - he says Holborn but I can't find a baptism. Similarly, his father was Callaghan McCarthy - but he could have come from anywhere in Ireland!
                        we have wrote to a dennis mccartie he sent us the cork examiner and it mentions mccartie spelt our way brenda xxx

Comment

I think this is Bren's family in 1891

RG12; Piece: 620; Folio 80; Page 25
                          John's occupation - Inspector of Police - place of birth Cork.
                          Elaine

Comment

this is the front page brenda xxx

Comment

Have you found him on any census? When did he join and leave the Met?

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                I think this is Bren's family in 1891

RG12; Piece: 620; Folio 80; Page 25
                                John's occupation - Inspector of Police - place of birth Cork.

yes thankyou but i need his parents lol ,i have that from the police who gave me the details i know.im trying to find out who he came over with as he was just a boy.brenda xxx

Comment

.. and the same family in 1881
                                  RG11 / 815 / 88 / 52

Name recorded as McCarthy but it looks like the right family as the children match up with the 1891 census.

John's occupation - Police Sergeant.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                    Have you found him on any census? When did he join and leave the Met?
                                    this is his record in the police

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                                      yes thankyou but i need his parents lol ,i have that from the police who gave me the details i know.im trying to find out who he came over with as he was just a boy.brenda xxx

Yes I realise that Bren - but until you get his marriage certificate then you wont know the name of his father.
                                      In order to get the correct marriage certificate you need first need the birth certificate of one of his children.
                                      Elaine

Comment

Kew should have his pension record which would give more details, but won't help you find his parents.

As you know where he was born, I suppose you could look for his birth cert or baptism record.

Comment

Working...
                                        X