Genes Trees ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genes Trees ?

If you decide you dont want to be on it anymore can you just delete your Tree and will then be unseen by others ?
    regards Patti

*******always searching*********
    for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

The tree won't be visible, but as I understand it the names still stay in the database, and come up on searches.

Comment

Are you talking about genesreunited when you say genes?
      If so, any Ged file you upload overwrites the last, so just upload a blank file and it will replace your tree

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I removed my tree and just left myself on there, but I have had a couple of people contact me because they found a Hot Match to one of my ancestors, so they must keep the details in their database, because I don't have any other names in my tree.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

That's worrying
          Under their own terms, the tree is your property, but they are keeping it for themselves somewhere else!!!

Wonder who is really behind Ancestry and GR..............The Mormons?
          Helps them build up their super genealogy database if it is.

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

According to OC, Ancestry are in the same building as the LDS, but I don't think they're connected with GR, which belongs to ITV.

When I first put my tree on GR I naively put a couple of living relatives on it. I deleted them pretty quickly - I've just checked, and they're not coming up on a search.

Comment

Mary - your own entries don't show up in your own search results.

However, I deleted my tree some time ago and have searched for my names via OH's free account and they do not show up. I have never had any hot matches for the names since deleting the tree.
              Gillian
              User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

So they don't, I'd forgotten that.

But I've just tried logging in to a different tree and searching from there, and they're still not coming up.
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 25-09-08, 23:07.

Comment

Trevor

Have another look at the T and C's on GR!

Your TREE remains your property. The names on it do not, they belong to GR, and GR reserve the right to do what they like with the information about the individuals on your tree.

GR is nothing to do with Ancestry, but a huge database of individuals makes GR a more financialy valuable company for any possible future takeover.

(The fact that their database contains the same individual counted ten times is neither here nor there!)

OC

Comment

I think they must take the names off when you delete them from your tree on GR. Two people that filched my tree, one back to the 1600's do not come up when I key in the village name for the people concerned. This particular village was full of my ancestors and they were both asked to take trees off GR and they did so. Since they have taken them off the site I have not found these names reappearing in the villages concerned. You do not need to look at anybody else's tree to search for your ancestors if you use the search facility available and just key in the village of your interest. This is why I can never understand why people have to share trees to share!!!

I keep a very skeletal tree on GR just in case anybody wants to find me but I link all wanted names with Mother Mother or Father Father!! However, I do get a few hot matches for mother mother and father father! But I find that this method does ensure locking out all those individuals who are going to waste your time.

For example I have a brick wall at present with one name that I cannot get out of Brigstock in Northants, and I know most of the people researching the same name in that area who cannot link into Brigstock , so it is handy keeping the name there as somebody may well find the missing links eventually, but we all know what we are looking for and I note through the search facility they have the same sort of skeletal tree that I have on there.

If somebody cannot even spell the name of the village of their interest correctly on GR then they are unlikely to be able to help you much!! I noticed one like that this morning on GR Hot Matches. The person concerned has the name of his ancestor, the same as mine the same date only he has Woolaston Northants down as the village whereas the correct name is Wollaston Northants which is what I have down. I think I will wait for him to contact me first!! I suspect he is not going to help me much.

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 26-09-08, 11:15.

Comment

Well this is all interesting thank you.
                      regards Patti

*******always searching*********
                      for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                        If somebody cannot even spell the name of the village of their interest correctly on GR then they are unlikely to be able to help you much!! I noticed one like that this morning on GR Hot Matches. The person concerned has the name of his ancestor, the same as mine the same date only he has Woolaston Northants down as the village whereas the correct name is Wollaston Northants which is what I have down. I think I will wait for him to contact me first!! I suspect he is not going to help me much.
                        Janet, don't forget that many villages have changed the spelling of their name over the years (much like people!) and also, birthplaces on people's trees are often copied from the census, so if the place name is spelt "wrongly" on the census it may appear like that in a lot of trees.
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kiterunner,

Yes, I hear what you are saying here, though I think that names of people are different in many ways to names of villages, as people's names are more open to misinterpretation when writing them down whereas village names are perhaps more open to just bad spelling. However, in the case that I have spoken about, I do think it is up to people to know how the village name is spelt at the time they are interested in the village. I do happen to know Northampton reasonably well with regards to the villages, and I know that the name and spelling of this particular village is the same now as it was a hundred years and more ago.

Oh yes, my main village of interest in Northants has been spelt 4 different ways on the census, though a look at the original writing will confirm the correct name and the correct spelling, and people who have not been bothered to look for the correct name and give the correct spelling do not endear me to their research, because if they are sloppy in the spelling then maybe their research is equally sloppy. Maybe this is the reason why I have found few people researching my village family because the village name has been spelt incorrectly on the typed census so many times. But I know it is incorrect in the typed version and always refer to the original version, so if I can find the correct name why can't others do the same?

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 26-09-08, 17:12.

Comment

Working...
                          X