Going to Kew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Kew

I am finally planning a trip to Kew & am after advice. I have looked on the website & know all about what to take & how to register etc. I have also found some documents that I want to look at. What I'd like to know is, how much should I expect to be able to get done? Some of the documents that I've found, I will want to copy, so can't imagine that I will need them for long, so am hoping to get through quite a few. But how many should I plan for? When I have fixed a date, I will see if anyone else is likely to be there the same day.
    Lynn

If you can take a digital camera with you, as well as photocopying the pages it's nice to have digital copies for the computer in colour. Order the Docs before or as soon as you get there, as it can take about 20 mins for them to get to you.

There are loads of computers near the place you register and great for looking for the documents on line that you can download instead of paying online.

For some unknown reason their search engine works better for me when I'm there than at home

There are *experts* at a desk so make use of them if you want to do further research.

There is a lovely library to browse, a great shop which often has a good selection on *sale* and a small museum, so even if you finish your research early there is still plenty to keep you busy for other times of the day.

I love Kew i spend hours looking at bits not connected to me just because it facinates me.

Let us all know when you are going! you never know another memebr might be there to say hello!

Comment

Thanks Peppie, I can't imagine finishing early, I have so many things to look for :D I do have a digital camera which I plan to take with me. Are you allowed to photocopy documents yourself or do you have to get them to do it?
      So far, I have marine records & medal rolls & a couple of ship logs to look at. I am also interested in rail records which I've heard are good & then there is a coldstream guard that I can search for. So much to ,so little time :D
      Lynn

Comment

You can photocopy documents yourself unless the book the records are in is too heavy/thick for the copier (4" thick or more, but can't remember the weight!). Then you can use your camera or ask for a digital copy, but these are quite expensive and you have to wait a week or so.
        You need to be quite specific on what you're looking for. Make a list of refs before you go if possible,and order 3 at a time. As soon as they are in your pigeon hole, you can order more. While you're waiting for documents to arrive, you can look at anything on film or fiche or have a look around the library which is great. You can search the library catalogue before you go for anything in particular.
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I never get everything I want done. I just make a list, prioritise it and work my way down until they shut up shop or I have to go.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It sounds like it will be great fun, I am really looking forward to it & hope that I will be able to meet at least some of you
            Lynn

Comment

Well if it's a Saturday, I'll PM the usual suspects........:D see if we can get a few there as I know you'v been desperate to get there for ages!;)

Comment

It will be a Saturday probably in December as it is my birthday treat
                Lynn

Comment

Ooh, December! Name a date and I'll be there!

Be warned, ships logs are a bit like newspapers. I can get completely carried away by descriptions of dropping sacks of sugar in the harbour, balmy mediterranean weather, or lifting a ship from a sandbank by getting the crew to run from one end of the ship to the other! (I'm not saying the crew were drunk, but I do think it significant that they went aground at 5 am, January 1st!) It is marvellous to have detailed descriptions of what was happening while your man was on board.
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I'd like to come if its possible.

Comment

LOL don't even have to start Pmming some of the *usual suspects*.........:D:D

Pub by the station afterwards ladies? :p

Comment

Oh, I really don't know about that, Peppie.....!!!!

Comment

Need you ask, Peppie?

Just wishing I could get to the Peterborough meet as several of the usual suspects will be there too, but it clashes with West Surrey open day.
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I probably wouldn't make the pub afterwards as I am hoping to dump the family, hubby included in Hemel Hempstead & will need to get back to them. I wanted to come on the train but at £60+ decided it was too dear
                            Lynn

Comment

Phoenix, don't worry, we will raise a glass to you at Peterborough and I hope the Fair goes well.

I'm bound to see you at Kew, if I don't bump into you at the LMA first, lol!!!

Comment

If only I could go to Kew ... but distance makes that impossible for the foreseeable future.

My gg-gf was a Customs Officer in London from 1840 - 1860 (approximately), and I know the reference numbers for the applicable records. However, I don't know how easy or difficult it is to find an individual within those records. Does anyone here have any experience with the CUST series?

If someone is willing and able to undertake some research on my behalf, I'd be extremely grateful - at the moment though, I don't know if it's an hour's work or a day's worth.

Thanks -

Tim
                                "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

A friend was doing research for another friend and ordered some Customs papers. they were actually testimonials when he joined the service and she found them very easily.

Usually such records either have a reference that take you straight to the relevant document or ledger page, or there is a contemporary index.

Comment

advice on public transport to Kew

Does anyone know the best way to get to Kew from Euston station, using public transport? And how long it would take? I would love to go next time I am in the UK and it would help to have all my information ready.
                                    Otherwise i'll be worriting and thrutching for the next ten months, LOL
                                    Jane
                                    To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

The transport for London website says tube to Victoria, then district line to Kew Gardens. Weekdays no more than 45 minutes. Add 10 minutes walking fom the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                                        The transport for London website says tube to Victoria, then district line to Kew Gardens. Weekdays no more than 45 minutes. Add 10 minutes walking fom the station.
                                        Brilliant Phoenix, thank you
                                        Janexxx
                                        To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Working...
                                        X