Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really weird address in 1855!

Hi Folks,

I have just received a birth certificate (hooray! the right one!) for a Charlotte Turner, registration district of St. Pancras and sub-district of Kentish Town in 1855.

The address give as to where Charlotte was born, and the residence of the father are the same, and the writing for once is quite clear. Has anybody heard of 'Figgur's Yard', Kentish Town? I have tried Googling, with no joy.

Many thanks,

Chris

Perhaps it would be possible to find something on the MapCo site MAPCO : London and Environs Maps and Views

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
      Perhaps it would be possible to find something on the MapCo site MAPCO : London and Environs Maps and Views

Christine
      Thanks, Christine. Will give it a go. It's not a matter of life or death - I'm just curious!

Chris

Comment

Problem is, a lot of these yards were known by the owners name and don't appear on any map.

I have one which I believe to be the same address on several censuses, but it is called by three different names, say Jones Yard, Smiths Yard, Browns Yard.

OC

Comment

I googled Figgur, and the first hit was for a family name.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            I googled Figgur, and the first hit was for a family name.

Christine
            I've had a look at that 'Mapco' site - and very interesting it is! Sadly, having gone cross-eyed, I can't find any mention. Found St. Pancras (or, in some cases just 'Pancras') but no Figgur's Yard.

I guess it must have been owned by Mr. Figgur, OC!:D

Not to worry, folks. Many thanks for your help anyway.....

Chris

Comment

Chris

What's pretty certain is that ten years later a lot of that area was dug up for the extension of the Midland Railway to St. Pancras. An area called Cubitt Town disappeared entirely under the railway sidings and buildings on the approach to St. Pancras.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

This bunch of 'Turner's' seem to shift about quite a bit. I have the birth cert of three of the kiddliwinks who were born at various address in Kentish Town, and the others were Hampstead, Edmonton. Now I know where my gipsy blood comes from.........!

Chris

Comment

It may have been a lo.cal name. I expect the Camden Archives would be able to help
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Maybe it was a "figure-yard"?

Snippet found on Google book search:

The founding of lead garden statues seems to have been a special industry in the eighteenth century ; and the original figure-yard for this kind of statue...

Comment

The best I can offer is the FIGUES family here in 1841:
                      HO107; Piece 686; Book: 10 Folio: 30; Page: 55; Line: 8

Francisco is described as a Spanish & Italian Warehouseman, but that doesn't sound quite like someone who owned a yard himself... though his foreign name might have distinguished one yard form another. For someone who didn't know how it should be written Figgurs is probably about right?

The crunch is whether you can find that family living anywhere near where you reckon the birth would have been.

Christine

Comment

This link has some indication of figure-yards on the Euston Road.

Mansions in Piccadilly | British History Online

Christine

Comment

Kew has street indexes for each census. On the assumption that the yard retained its name at census night, someone could check it out for you. You could then place it on a C19th map.
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thankyou folks! I guess this Figgur's Yard could well be something to do with garden ornaments etc. The father of this kiddie was a gardener journeyman, so it certainly seems to fit. Got the last birth cert of the kiddliwinks of this Daniel Turner, and they had moved yet again! This time it was 2, Vine Cottage, Kentish Town. Obviously all these addresses were in the same location - perhaps he was constantly on the move and furtively looking over his shoulder for some reason (only joking!)

Chris

Comment

Just had a lengthy trundle through the enumeration districts of Kentish Town for 1851 and can find no mention of Figgur's Yard. Ah, well, not to worry.

Thanks again to all you kind folk who took time out to help!

Chris

Comment

Can you pinpoint the location in 1841, that is, what is the street before it and the street after it?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  Can you pinpoint the location in 1841, that is, what is the street before it and the street after it?

OC

Problem is, OC, is that all these 6 little herberts were born in 5 different locations (all within Kentish Town, bar one), dates ranging from 1842 to 1857 - this one in Figgur's Yard was in 1854. I could try the enumeration districts for 1861 I guess? Have I got the strength, I ask myself.........LOL!

Chris

Comment

Yay! Found this Figgur's Yard on the 1861! Went through 28 enumeration districts (out of 29!) and then trawled through 48 images of 60-odd, and there we were! There were 2 properties, one had the head as a hostler, a blacksmith and gardener, and the next house had another gardener and agri lab. This is just down the road from where this family were on the 1861. Strangely enough, there was a Harriet Figgures in almost the previous street, a female retired butcher born in Kentish Town.

The other Brucie-bonus was spotting the eldest sibling of this Turner bunch, Ann Elizabeth, who was an unmarried servant working for a 'proprietor of houses', just down the road from her parents.

I'm now off to the Land of Nod, eyes crossed, but a happy bunny! Sad innit that something so inconsequential should prove to make oneself very happy? Maybe the rest of my family could be right in suggesting that I get out more! Perhaps they've got a point...........:o

Chris

Comment

Well Done!

I think it's a perfectly reasonable reaction to having solved a puzzle that was bugging you.

Christine

Comment

Tell us where it was in Kentish Town,........ please...... I know the area well and it'll bug me now as much as it bugged you trying to find it......:o

Comment

Working...
                                        X