Proving a Death cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proving a Death cert

I have the death cert of the person I think is my great grandfather. Unfortunately he fell off a roof whilst at work. He was taken to the Liverpool Royal Infirmary on 9th February 1884 where he died later that day.

In the occupation part of the cert it says....Plasterer, 3ct. Jervis Street.

Would this be the address of the place he was working on or would this be his home address????

Kathlyn

If he died within a couple of years of a census, his address might be on there which might narrow it down.

Sorry, no other ideas.

Bee.
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

I don't know Kathlyn! But you could try and see if there's a Plasterer's business premises listed in a Directory for that time?
      Sue

Comment

The sad thing is, I have not found my great grandfather on any census. He was born about 1848 and died in the mid 1800s

The family are totally missing from the 1871 census. I have had kind people on this site looking for me, but no luck.

I found my great grandmother prior to her marriage on the 1851 and 1861 census, and I have found her and two of her children in the 1881 census, but "he" is missing. Maybe he was away working at that time, but with such a common name, John Roberts, it is like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack.

The address great grandmother is recorded as living at on the 1881 census, is not the one on the death cert.

I can just imagine my long dead rellies sitting on clouds and laughing at my long drawn out research.

Kathlyn

Comment

It should be his home address, or at least where he was living - I suppose if it was a live-in job then it could be where he was working.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It would be his home address.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Kathlyn, if you google Jervis Street Liverpool, there is quite a bit on there.

Jervis Street was close to the city centre and i think there was a mixture of houses and buissnesses there.
              Jacky

Comment

There is a plasterer by the name of John Roberts living at that address in 1881 - is this him? His brother-in-law William Fletcher is also there:

Name: John Roberts
                Relation: Head
                Where born: Liverpool
                Street address: 3 CT Jervis St No 1
                RG11; Piece: 3620; Folio: 54; Page: 26
                Last edited by Richard in Perth; 25-09-08, 04:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
                  There is a plasterer by the name of John Roberts living at that address in 1881 - is this him? His brother-in-law William Fletcher is also there:

Name: John Roberts
                  Relation: Head
                  Where born: Liverpool
                  Street address: 3 CT Jervis St No 1
                  RG11; Piece: 3620; Folio: 54; Page: 26
                  Yes, it is!!

I saw that one the other day when looking for married men with no wives in the house, but without the address info and thinking I was looking for a joiner, I dismissed him! I probably should know if Mrs Roberts maiden name was Fletcher, but I'm afraid I don't know that! lol
                  Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 25-09-08, 09:43.

Comment

Hmmm.....thinking about it, wasn't Mrs Roberts nee Maudesley?? I thought their son reverted to his mum's maiden name and I'm sure that was Maudesley. Maybe I'm getting the generations confused?

Comment

I've looked on one of the other threads and one of the items Kathlyn has is:

The marriage cert of Mary Mawdsley to John Roberts in 1868

Hmmm.......

I suppose the bro-in-law, Fletcher, could be John Roberts sister's husband.

Or the death cert is for the wrong John Roberts!

Let's hope for the former! lol

Comment

I saw that one the other day when looking for married men with no wives in the house
                        No, I lied! The one I saw the other day wasn't that plasterer, he was one in Manchester, sorry!

This one has his wife with him, so he's not the right man (unless he was leading a double live!). So does that mean it's not the right death certificate?

Comment

I wonder how old John Roberts was on his marriage cert?

Comment

Now I'm looking for men called John Roberts, living in Lancs (obviously he might be elsewhere) occ joiner, married but no wife in the house, oh and born before 1850.

Hmmmm, that didn't work! lol!!
                            Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 25-09-08, 09:50.

Comment

Hi Merry M

Yes, my grandfather took his mothers maiden name of Mawdsley (we now spell it Maudesley) and my great grandmothers line has been quite easy to find, it is the Roberts that is giving me grief.

As I have said before, I am unable to find the Roberts in the 1871 census, and I have never found John Roberts in any census. The only underlined info I have on him is the marriage certificate of 1868, in that document his fathers name is Robert and his fathers occupation is "mariner".

Kathlyn
                              Last edited by Kathlyn Maudesley; 25-09-08, 17:29.

Comment

Working...
                              X