Can anyone shed some light on this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone shed some light on this

Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me with this. I hope this is not too long but here goes.

I have found, I think my g.g.grandmother Elizabeth Furze nee Blight born Sutcombe England about 1823/27 with her husband John Furze born about 1832/34 England with children in 1870 American Census living in Owen, Winnebago, Illinois, moving to Burritt, Winnebago for the 1880 Census and have found the male children, married and with children from 1900 onwards.

In the Census there are children
    Sarah J. born about 1859
    Rebecca born about 1861
    John born about1863
    Caroline born about 1865
    George born about 1867
    Henry born about 1869

All of the children were born in Canada but there is no further information.
    Rebecca had a child, Chester Ellis in 1878 and I have found her marriage in 1878.
    I know that Elizabeth and John Furze married in Sutcombe on 5th January 1854 so presume that they emigrated to Canada immediately after they were married, how do I find out what ship they left on and where they arrived?

I would like to know where the children were born in Canada has anyone ideas where I could find out? I cannot find Elizabeth or John on a ships list mainly because the lists are later.
    I am sure that it is the right one but until I find a birth certificate I am left wondering and it has taken me so long to find her. If anyone would do a lookup or suggest a site I would be soooooooo grateful.
    Thanks in anticipation. Jo

These sites may have something useful - but it will be quite a hunt, I think, unless you can find some relevant passenger list transcriptions:

Canada Genealogy | Canadian Genealogy
    Immigration and Citizenship - What to Search: Topics - Canadian Genealogy Centre - Library and Archives Canada
    Genealogy Links - Canadian Genealogy Centre - Library and Archives Canada
    Canadian Genealogy and History Links - Searchable

TheShipsList: Passengers, Ships, Shipwrecks
    What Passenger Lists Are Online?
    Introduction - Passenger Lists, 1865-1922 - Library and Archives Canada

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine will certainly try them. Jo

Comment

Working...
      X