Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can somebody help to find Charlotte please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody help to find Charlotte please?

I've been contacted by a fellow researcher, and I'm having problems trying to answer him as I can't find any details he is looking for. The following is from his email.

"Margaret is a descendent of John Rozier from Stowmarket who married a Charlotte Balaam, we understand that Charlotte was born in Stowmarket on 15 May 1808, her parents were Philip Balaam and Elizabeth Flack.

The Church record of their wedding was described as follows:-
    John Roshier of this Combs Parish, a Bachelor and Charlotte Balaam of this Parish, Spinster, were married in this Church by Banns, with consent of parents on this 10th day of November 1822”.
    The marriage was officiated by Mr Chris Lawson, Curate.
    John signed his name as “John Roshier” and Charlotte made her “mark”.

During their marriage, the Church records for baptisms of John and Charlotte Rozier’s children in the Parish Church at Stowmarket indicated that they brought the following children into the world:-
    ·Anna Maria, christened at Stowmarket, 18 May 1823, daughter of John & Charlotte Rosier, John’s occupation was “Brickmaker”. Anna later married William Turner.
    ·Robert, christened at Stowmarket, 29 September 1825, son of John & Charlotte Rosier, John’s occupation was “labourer”. Robert died 3 October 1825, aged 4 days.
    ·Sarah, christened at Stowmarket, 12 July 1829, daughter of John & Charlotte, John was a labourer. Sarah died on 18 July 1836, aged 7 years.
    ·Betsy, christened at Stowmarket, 19 August 1832, daughter of John & Charlotte, John was a labourer.
    ·John Theophilus Rosier, christened at Stowmarket, 19 October 1834, (noted on record was a reference to John saying “transported last March”.
    We have details of John Rosier including his sentence for stealing, his subsequent transportation to Australia as a convict in 1834, his marriage to another convict woman, the birth of four (4) children, and his death in 1854.
    Despite spending a great deal of time we cannot find out what happened to Charlotte following her husband’s transportation to Australia.
    Can you please advise what happened to Charlotte, did she remarry? when and how did she die?"

Any answers please?
    Pauline
    xx
    OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
    www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

Cannot see a death for Charlotte, there's a marriage

1847 Oct-Nov-Dec Ipswich vol 12 p. 729

possible grooms:

Anthony Adams
    James Clarke
    James Reeve
    George Whiting
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

1851 census has George Whitings with wife Charlotte

HO107; Piece: 1794; Folio: 493; Page: 6

Charlotte born abt 1804, Stowmarket.

There are children including John Whitings born 1834. Could this be John Rosier, given his stepfather's name?

Comment

Thanks Nell.

Not sure about the John being the Rosier one as the place of birth doesn't seem to tie up (can't make out where it is:(), but it's not Stowmarket.
        Pauline
        xx

Comment

Think I've found George Whiting in 1841 resident in Combs

HO107; Piece 1035; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Combs; County: Suffolk; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 25; Page: 14

He has a son John of the right age, so the 1851 John is his, not Charlotte's :(

I do think the marriage is a possible one though Nell. Where have her children gone to though?
          Pauline
          xx

Comment

It's not very clear, looks like Finb- something. Of course this could be the wrong Charlotte - and the marriage was in Ipswich. But its the closest fit I could find.

No sign of Charlotte in 1841.

Comment

Poo! Just found John Whiting aged 7 in Combs in 1841 census with George - but although there are other children, there's no woman old enough to be wife, so maybe George the widower married Charlotte the widow. Her son John would also be 17 and probably working elsewhere.

Comment

The place-name "Finb-" that Nell found may be Little Finborough which is very close to Combs.

Peter

Comment

Or Great Finborough!

I'm a bit worried about the dates given for Charlotte in the original post, though - if she was born in 1808 and married in 1822 she would only be 14 when she got married. I know that technically it would be legal, but it seems unlikely. Though perhaps the date they have given for date of birth is really her baptism date and she was a few years old when baptised?
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

According to the IGI Charlotte Balam born 15th May 1808 and christened 9th August 1808 at St Matthew, Ipswich. Parents Philip Balam and Elizabeth Fack

Jackie
                    Jackie

Comment

So that baptism might not be for the same Charlotte as the one who married John Rozier, then.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

It could be the same person (especially if the person who found the information in the first post has seen all the parish records). However if we're looking for a Charlotte b 1808 with surname unknown she could be down as born Stowmarket or Ipswich.

I know we shouldn't necessarily trust the IGI but its quite a coincidence given the parents' names and the dates.

Jackie
                        Jackie

Comment

I think what has happened is that the contact mentioned in the first post was looking for a Charlotte Balaam born in Suffolk at about the right time and the only baptism they could find was the Ipswich one 1808 with parents Philip and Elizabeth, but it looks to me as though that isn't the same Charlotte as the one who married John Rozier.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                          X