Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone help me answer this one?

I have just had a contact from genes reunited:

"I am tracing my husbands family tree and have hit a brick wall, I am looking for his grandfather Alfred George Melville, according to his marriage certificate his father was George Henry. I have been unable to find either of them on the census records or any birth record for Alfred, according to family stories Melville was not Alfred's birth name.

I recently found army records for Alfred and they show his birth place as DUNDRY, Somerset. I have checked the parish records for Dundry between 1874-1880 and the only Alfred I can find is Alfred George Cox who's father is named George Henry, so I am wonder if Alfred Cox & Alfred Melville are the same person.

I found the Cox family on the 1881 census, which includes Alfred. I also found the death for a George Cox in 1890. The 1891 census show's George"s widow Elizabeth and 3 children but not Alfred, so far I have not been able to find Alfred Cox on the 1891/1901 census forms."

Alfred Cox born Dundry in Somerset was my grandmother's cousin. There are two both in my tree but like my contact I loose him after 1881.
    Anne

I don't suppose the army records give a full date of birth which could be compared with Alfred Cox's? And do the occupations of the two Georges match? Also do the names of the witnesses at Alfred's wedding help?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It is worth trying. I can't find the family at all on the 1901 census. The father George died but I should be able to find some of the children. The family were shoe markers.
      Last edited by anniern; 23-09-08, 19:35.
      Anne

Comment

I would reply to the contact that you do have Alfred Cox in your tree but don't have any knowledge of the possible name change, if that is the case. Does your grandmother's cousin have any knowledge of this possibility?
        I would simply agree with whatever was relevant and then jointly decide how to prove the case one way or another.

Comment

Alfred G Cox, b Dundry, is 6 in 1881, so this is his birth:

Births Mar 1875
          COX Alfred George Bedminster 5c 760

which probably means this is his death:

Deaths Jun 1881
          Cox Alfred George 6 Bedminster 5c 487

So, I think it's back to the drawing board :o:(

Comment

Thanks Merry. I think you have solved it. I still wonder what happened to them in 1901.
            Anne

Comment

Working...
            X