help- adopted son!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help- adopted son!!

Hi, i am a bit confused! My OH's gg grandad is William Robert Hatch- master tailor. I have him in 1901 with his wife and children and in 1891 as a lodger- tailor as his occupation. Looking in 1881, the only one that matches is this one RG11; Piece: 4436; Folio: 8; Page: 9;. But he is adopted son. Is this why I cannot find his birth in 1871/1872/1873? Is there anyway of finding his birth? The eldest man at the same address is a tailor so are these his birth parents as he became a tailor or is that just a coincidence?

Hmmm......

Do you have his marriage cert?

Comment

I see on the 1881 census he is recorded as adopted son of Thomas and Margaret. Adopted son could have been used to describe an illegitimate son of Margaret. I cannot see a suitable birth registration for William at the moment - it might be worthwhile finding a marriage for Thomas and Margaret, and then seeing if William is registered at birth with mother's maiden name.
      Elaine

Comment

Forget my last suggestion!
        Thomas Hatch and Margaret are together on the 1871 census.
        Elaine

Comment

It might be that he was a child of the family (ie he is a blood relative of one of the Hatch parents, but not their child). It was quite common for couples with no children to take on a child (sometimes an illegitimate one) of a relative.

I would suggest researching the adoptive parents whilst keeping an eye on all the William Robert X children registered in Bradford to see if any of the surnames pop up in the Hatch tree. Obviously you will be very lucky for this to work :o

Comment

1901 - another chap at same address with same occupation doesn't mean anything much. People who did the same things tended to live in the same area, or even house. If you were looking for lodgings you might live with an employer or someone you knew through work. Perhaps these two worked at the same place.

If he's adopted I would think that either he was illegitimate or that his mother/father died young. Victorian England was awash with unwanted and deserted children.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

merry, all three census' have different places of birth though! All yorkshire but different places.

Comment

if i get his marriage cert. and he was adopted and if he knew he was adopted would that have his birth parents on it?

Comment

I doubt it! You should still get it though.

Comment

Hi
                    I think that William Hatch ( born Bradford ) the adopted son is not the person that you are looking for.There is a William Henry Hatch (born c 1873 Bradford) in 1891 at Shipley and a William Hy Hatch (born c1874 Bradford) at Shipley on the 1901 census. I think he married as William Henry C Hatch in 1890.
                    Moggie

Comment

his middle name is robert

Comment

Hi
                        I do realise that the William that you are trying to trace has the middle name Robert. I was just suggesting that the adopted/adapted son ( I do wish ancestry would do something about these adapted children) William born Bradford could have been William Henry/ Hy in later life being as his birthplace was consistent unlike William(Robert) who was born Bierlow or Sheffield or ?
                        Moggie

Comment

As Merry said you need to get William's marriage certificate - and hopefully you will find that he is not the adopted son entry.

I agree with Moggie that the adopted son entry is more likely to belong to William H. Hatch.
                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                          X