Update on Mary Ariel/Bompiani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Mary Ariel/Bompiani

Received Mary's death cert toady.....nothing out of the ordinary.

She died of "exhaustion and senility", so possibly in Herrison Hospital for the senility (dementia, maybe).

Interesting little snippet in the "occupation"......

"of 23 Dorchester Road, Weymouth, widow of Roberto Bompiani an artist"

Herrison Hospital archives have replied saying they can search her records for about 48 pounds. If there is nothing that is restricted, I can then buy the record. So it costs 48 pounds to check first then you pay extra for the record. I really don't think it's worth it. The death cert has her illness as 4 months, so she probably was there less time than that.

Nice to have her address though.......I haven't had that on an English death cert before, when the person didn't die at that address.

I've got a few certificates with the home address also given when they died in hospital, Libby.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I hadn't seen it before in UK ones. Maybe because this is OH's line and mine probably didn't have an address lol.

Comment

I've mostly had home addresses given for my hospital patients, except the very long-stay asylum inmates.

The charge for the records is outrageous. I think it cost me about £20 for my great-aunt's lengthy file including photos from Leicester Record Office, but they told me immediately the file was available, so I didn't risk losing any money.

Who was the informant? Somebody from the hospital?

Let's hope the will's a bit more interesting

Comment

My great-grandmother died in 1926. Her death cert gives place of death (which I think was a hospital as same address was given for another family member in 1924) and in occupation column it gives her home address.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

By the way, if you turn out to be related to the Catherine Ayre born in Gaddesby that we found, our ancestors may have crossed paths - my great-grandmother married a man from Gaddesby.

Comment

Hang about - I just googled for 23 Dorchester Road, Weymouth, and theres a tree online that shows it as a nursing home:

William Horace SODO/Grace LOVELL

It's been turned into flats now:

DORCHESTER ROAD WEYMOUTH DT4 - House Prices

Comment

23 Dorchester Road seems to be a block of flats called Venesta :(

I can visualise exactly where it is - about 200 yards from where one of my more distant rellies lived! OH and I had an arguement outside a cafe about 20 yards from 23 Dorchester Rd last summer! lol
                Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 23-09-08, 11:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                  It's been turned into flats now:

DORCHESTER ROAD WEYMOUTH DT4 - House Prices
                  That Hardy's Court is actually at number 100-and-something. 23 refers to the flat number - I got caught out too, but OH knows where Hardy's Court is, and it's further away from the sea than 23 Dorchester Road (he says......don't sue me if that's wrong! lol)

Comment

Ah, thanks, I hadn't noticed that.

Comment

Glad you know the area. I googled it in maps and it seems to be beside Lorton Lane(??).

I'll check it, can't really remember.

Do you have Google Streets? I haven't found it anywhere but Australia. It's the street view of houses.

Mary...The informant was the medical officer. No idea about the Eyres yet. I'm waiting to see if I can get the licence for Elizabeth Eyre's marriage. It might have her father's name.

Comment

Maps of the world, street map search - powered by Multimap

If you follow the orange road down, where it turns sharply into King Street is the very centre of Weymouth (Google Weymouth Clock Tower).

Comment

If you look into the distance you can see where the road forks (where there's that rounded building which looks like it's to the right of the church, but is actually in front of it). The church with the spire is in Dorchester Road. It's on the right of the street and 23 would be opposite.

Comment

Here's another. Dorchester Road starts by the round building and runs up behind it. There's the church spire again!

Comment

Working...
                            X