Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry contact question

HI
    someone proberbly has already asked this but how does someone get in touch with you and has anyone ever done so. I ask because my tree links into lots on the site but no one has ever been in touch to ask how I link in now I know some of them already but the new lines I have just followed I have not put anywhere other than there and there was about four new matches. Now I can see there tree because they are public do you think they have not been in touch because mine is private

Thanks
    Laura

If you find something in a private tree, when you click on the name it gives you a message that the submitter has a private tree but if you click on the link you can contact them via Ancestry.

You (as the owner of the private tree) would then receive an email from Ancestry, containing the message from the person who is trying to contact you.
    You can reply to the Ancestry email and they will forward your reply to the original person.

Ancestry act as an intermediary with tree contacts - so you are never using your own email address - you are using your Ancestry log in name.

Does that make sense!
    Elaine

Comment

Yes
      thanks Elaine I wonder why no one wants to know how I fit in ah well

Laura

Comment

I know what you mean, I am always trying to contact different people on there, or was, but I have never had anyone ask me ! what is it about us then ?
        regards Patti

*******always searching*********
        for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

Originally posted by Patti View Post
          I know what you mean, I am always trying to contact different people on there, or was, but I have never had anyone ask me ! what is it about us then ?
          Keep trying, Folks. I contacted two people, one private, one public tree owner, and both of them replied the next day!
          Some people may be away, some give up the hobby,some may be busy with annoying things like real life, but you can strike lucky --hopefully it's easier than winning the lottery...
          Janexxx
          To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

I have just this week found two Public trees that have cousins of my Mother on but one when I click on their tree says he does not want any contact, and the other I cannot work out how to contact him as nothing comes up when I click on his name, hope this is understandable.

So, in desperation I added photos to my tree from their trees in the hope they will contact me and ask why I did it.;)
            Could not find them anywhere else even on GR

Anyone got any other ideas how to contact them?

Dog's have Owners, Cats have Staff
            It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser

Comment

I have also found a public tree which I am almost certain belongs to a second cousin but where nothing comes up if I click on the owner's name. I guess she has not ticked either of the two contact options. What I have done, as she appears to update her tree quite often, is to add a comment to the entry for my grandmother on her tree, asking her to contact me (though no response yet)
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I do the same as Judith - I add a comment on their tree (if it is a public one) and that has netted me three contacts.

OC

Comment

Thanks, didn't realize you could do that. Away now to do it

Dog's have Owners, Cats have Staff
                  It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser

Comment

I've made a lovely contact through an Ancestry public tree. The tree owner is a descendant of a distant cousin who emigrated from Scotland to the USA. He's provided me with some backward links taking me to Craigenputtock, Dumfriesshire, where the poet Thomas Carlyle lived for several years and our mutual rellie's family farm was on the estate.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

i found a photo of a 5th great granmother on a tree. my family has always said there was no surviving photos from that part of the family

Comment

Working...
                      X