This is strange...Copy birth certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is strange...Copy birth certificate

I received a 1845 birth certificate from the GRO and there is something very strange.

Cox William John BC query.JPG

The initials after column 10 obviously refer to the amendment made in column 8 and the white square above the intials is as it is on the cert..I think there could be something 'under' it but probably only relating to the amendment.

My query is column 10 which has been covered and the line drawn over and I can't think of any reason why this would be done and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

I have e.mailed a copy to the GRO asking for any additional information and got the automated reply saying there is a likely response time of 15 days.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

I would try contacting the local register office who hold the original record. (depending on where that is; some are more helpful than others!! Which district did the birth take place in?)

Comment

Hmm, very unusual. I wonder whether something was written in column 10 - it is supposed to be the column for "Name entered after registration" but I wonder if it is ever used for anything else? I can't see why they would need to hide it if it was just an extra middle name or something like that! I will be very interested to hear what reply you get from the GRO.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Information about column 10

Birth Certificate Tutorials
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I'm not sure the GRO would be able to help as they are only using film records to produce copy certs (I don't know what happened to the original copies they would have received in 1845 from the local registrar), so they wouldn't be able to see any more than you have shown above.

Comment

Have you got the baptism record for this child?

Comment

Merry

It's Wandsworth and Clapham Registration District, sub district Wandsworth....And I have had dealings with them before and should be deemed unhelpful!

Kite

I always thought that if there was something written in any column incorrectly then it would be crossed out and noted after column 10 BUT the original incorrect bit would still be there.

Like you, I can't think of any reason why a 1845 certificate would have info withheld and I don't know of any other purpose column 10 was used for.

As I understand it, if a name was changed/added at baptism and the parent went back to change the registration details then it should be available to see, no reason for the info to be withheld.

I will certainly post the GROs reply when I receive it.

Many thanks to you both

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Nell

Sorry I was typing as you were replying.

Yes that's what I thought so there would be no need for the info to be withheld....Curiouser and curiouser!

Comment

There was once someone (on here, I think?) who ordered a birth certificate from a local register office and was told there was an extra attachment to it which could only be viewed at the office (I think it was information about the father), but as far as I can remember, that was not actually written on the certificate but just kept with it.

Yes, usually a correction would be initialled and still shown on the copies.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I'd certainly try for the original local register. If it has been amended, the alteration should be there for all to see. Conspiracies are always more interesting than cock-ups! I have only one case of a column 10 entry, and the parents divorced shortly afterwards.

The Scottish system has the advantage that any change goes in the Register of Corrected Entries (RCE) and includes reasons. This seems to be used most often for deaths and records the results of the Procurator Fiscal's enquiries.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Nell

No baptism as yet as I have only just confirmed the family connection but I have a horrible feeling his may be part of the Wandsworth baptisms that were destroyed during WW2...Something to check out and if available view next time I am at the LMA.

Thanks for reminding me.

Comment

Many thanks to everyone for their input

I will await the GRO response, which I have a horrible feeling will not be helpful, then gird my loins and tackle Wandsworth Register Office.

I will post my findings!

Many thanks again to you all.

Comment

I wonder, as the line to show there is nothing in that column goes over the white patch, whether in fact it was something as simple as a strip of paper or tape glued on the page to mend a tear.
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Judith

It turns out it's even stranger....

I am updating in my next post.

Comment

UPDATE

Contrary to my negative comments about Wandsworth Register Office...

I sent them an e.mail this morning attaching a copy of the certificate and received this reply

"I have the original entry here and there is no amendment in space 8 and space 10 is blank. Copies all all entries were sent to GRO so that they would have a permanent record and they were handwritten. All I can suggest is that an error was made in space 8 whilst the entry was being copied.

If a name had been in the final column added my original register would have been updated. Perhaps you could contact GRO to ask why the last column has been covered."

So I now await the GRO's response!!!!

Comment

Oooh that's good.

I thought the GRO only had films though? (what they have sent you is def from a film). Maybe they have the original sheets hidden away in the basement somewhere?!)

Comment

Oooo-eeerrr!

I bet it's some dreary clerical error and nothing of interest, but do keep us posted.

Comment

Merry

When I, eventually, get a response, from the GRO...Rest assured, I will be like the proverbial 'dog with a bone' if they don't give me a definitive answer :D

Comment

Nell

Clerical error :( After all this I am hoping for something a little more juicy :D

Don't worry....I will keep everyone posted

Comment

I know conspiracies are more juicy than cockups, but they are in a tiny minority!
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X