Help reading occupation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading occupation

Could you please check an occupation for me on the 1851 Census.

It is for a Quarton Alvin b 1794. Class HO107 pc.2360 folio 312 page 20.

Thanks in advance,

Barbara

Hi Barbara

There's only one Quarton Alvin!

It looks exactly like landid propertior but I think it is meant to be landed proprietor, ie someone who owns and rents out land, with or without property. He may have owned a few fields. He would have lived off the income from the rent.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Little Nell, it is a very unusual name isn't it lol.
      I have just found him on a directory in Cottingham, as a Market Gardener so that makes sense.

Cheers,

Barbara

Comment

Goodness
        Is that really his name ?
        I was looking at the census and wondering if the enumerator had the forename and surname reversed :D

Does he appear as Quarton in the directory aswell ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Yes he does, made him easy to find lol.

Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by frostbarter View Post
            Yes he does, made him easy to find lol.

Barbara
            :D well that's useful

I can't find the name listed anywhere as a first name, so would that be his mother's surname or a possible link to his forebears ?

hmmm maybe a place name ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I think there was a thread about Quarton as a name either on FTF or maybe on GR a long while ago. I think OC had something pertinent to say.

Maybe he was a market gardener who rented out some of his land to others, and thought "landed proprietor" sounded posher on the census, but wouldn't attract any custom for his produce in the directory.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I am still fishing with this one Rachel, there were Alvin slave traders in Jamaica and Barbados, Alvin is not a very common name and I am trying to find if there is a connection. I think some of the slaves were given the surnames of their owners, but as I said I am just feeling around with this one at the moment.

Barbara

Comment

Working...
                X