Cunard Building, Liverpool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cunard Building, Liverpool

This is the address of my "relatives" on a passenger list of 1930, sailed on the Cunard line from Liverpool - I have noticed other instances of this.

Why would this be done? My "rellies" had a perfectly good residential address of their own in Liverpool at the time.

I keep thinking that there must be an obvious answer, but can't think of one!
    Joan died in July 2020.

Were your rellies travelling somewhere for work maybe?
    Don't know about Liverpool, but I know that in Ireland there were hiring fairs to recruit men to work in the mines in America. It seems that sometimes those men had the place of the hiring fair listed as their address on the passenger lists, instead their actual home. The passenger lists I've found for OH's rellies going to work in the mines are dated between 1907 and 1927.
    Last edited by Cloggie; 22-09-08, 19:52.
    Sarah

Comment

Thanks, Sarah - I believe the relative was at the time a manager of the Sun Life Assurance Company - he and his wife sailed to New York - I've no idea why
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Hmm, that seems quite a different situation then - not like the hiring fairs where whole groups of young men signed up to work in America.
        Sarah

Comment

Its not the address of the Sun Life Assurance Company is it?
          If they were going in conjunction with work they could of put their company address?

Comment

Thanks again, Sarah.

I don't think they stayed in New York for very long - I suspect that yet again this chap was up to no good!! :D
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Could it just be that it was the address they departed from?

"The Cunard Building acted as the central headquarters for the shipping line providing office accommodation, administration accommodation and ship designing facilities on the upper floors.

The lower floors of the building were utilised for passenger facilities both ahead of, and following, their departure/arrival on the Cunard passenger liners in Liverpool. A range of facilities were in place within the building including first, second and third class passenger waiting rooms and canteens, storage facilities for customers luggage and facilities for the Cunard employees based both on land and at sea."

Cunard Building - The Building
              Sarah

Comment

Thanks, Sarah - that makes sense - it just seems odd, - but then almost everything to do with this person seems odd!!
                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                X