Help with understanding Admon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with understanding Admon

I ordered the letter of admon for one of my Dawsons but i am having trouble understanding it.

Know all Men by these presents that we Thomas Godley of Bicker in the county of Lincoln Farmer, Mary Godley of Bicker and Isaac Lumby of Donington in the county of Lincoln aforesaid Gent are held and firmly bound unto the worshipful William Battine(sp) L.L.? vicar general and official principal of the Right Reverend father in God. George by Divine ~~~~~~? lord Bishop of Lincoln lawfully constituted in the penal sum of six hundred pounds.of good and lawfull money of Great Britian to be paid unto the said Doctor William Battine(sp) or to his certain attorneys his executors administrator or Assigns to which payment well and truely to be made We oblige ourselves and each of us by himself for the whole our andeach and every of our Heirs Executors and Administrators firmly by these presents sealed with our seals dated 17 oct in the fifty eighth year of the reign of our doverign lord George the 3rd.

On the back of this document is written that the total value of the effects did not amount in value to the sum of £300

so why were they paying £600.00 to William Battine?

Or have I missed something?
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Vikki, I think the £600 was just a fine that they would have to pay if they didn't produce the inventory by the date specified.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Vikki, I suppose I could say I'll leave £1 million to the Cats' Home in my will. However, if they find I don't have it when I die, they'll just have to settle for less!

I've had several of these where the maths doesn't add up and the person in question is trying to distribute far more than he has!

Ah, just read it again, and I'd agree with KiteRunner.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Ah, Thank you - I think I had read it 10 times and just couldn't get my head around what was being said:o
        Vikki -
        Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Working...
        X