alternate spelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternate spelling

can anyone think of an alternate spelling for conway?

im trying to find james, but literally know nothing of him, other than he was supposedly a butler in 1871.

any name variations would be great

thanks

You say you know nothing else about him - you must know something or why would you be looking for him!

married to??
    place of birth??
    what county or part of UK??

... anything ... something!
    Elaine

Comment

There are a few other threads about this, Elaine, I'll just see if I can find them...
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...ys-london.html
        http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...es-conway.html
        http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...hanover-2.html

It seems that he could be in a "missing" area on at least one census, though.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kite.
          Elaine

Comment

Sorry Kyle - not sure I can add anything to what has already been done.
            Elaine

Comment

i thought so. i was hoping a mistranscription could have found something.

and sorry to put you through this yet again, kite. ill resign my boxing gloves on this branch for a while.

Comment

What about searching on ?onway?

If he was a Butler perhaps the master of the house only knew him as David or Sam or whatever? Or even called all his butlers 'Jankins'?

Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Hugo View Post
                  What about searching on ?onway?

If he was a Butler perhaps the master of the house only knew him as David or Sam or whatever? Or even called all his butlers 'Jankins'?

Hugo
                  The ability to search on strings which don't necessarily constitute the beginning of a name is a wish-for on Ancestry. You have to have at least three characters before a wildcard - and none can be a space!

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

How about Conroy?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

If you're using Ancestry, you could try:
                      Con*
                      Con*y
                      Cor*y
                      Com*y

to try to pick up mistranscriptions.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                      X