Researching a boat/ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching a boat/ship

Has anyone got an idea of how to research a boat/ship. I grandad brought one and was doing it up for himself and my gran to go out on days out. My gran never saw it as she left it to him to do it up as he brought it as a wreck and as he was a marine engineer didn't interfere (can't see that she didn't interfere myself lol) Well my gran decided yesterday to hand down his compass which he was going to put into the boat and decided instead of passing it down to me her own flesh and blood to give it to my hubby but hey i soon put him right lol.
    I have no idea of the name of it all i know is that it was in Boston Lincolnshire and he dry docked it for a couple of weeks to do repairs to it. A young lad who granddad left in charge of it whilst he was running his newsagents managed to crash and sink it and thats all that is known. Is there anyway of finding out some more information on it??
    Jen

Might there be anything in a local newspaper of the time? I'd have thought that that would have made quite a good story. Then you might be able to get the name.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine i will have to try and get my gran to think and sort of give me a date, then i would be more than happy to sit in the library for the day. Was there ever a log kept for people who owned boats does anyone know?
      Jen

Comment

I'm not sure whether there comes a size so small that they "slip under the radar", but Lloyds List? (Thinking of David Suchet's WDYTYA from the other day.)

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Oh and i missed that one grrrrrr. Might have to go and watch it just to see lol.
          Jen

Comment

Who owned the local chandlers and the dry dock? They might have records and memories/stories.

Would there be a Harbourmaster or Police or Coastguard report?

What happened to the wrecked vessel?

Hugo

Comment

I have no idea of any of this Hugo sorry all i know is what i said above. Would my local council be able to tell me any of this information? Will put a picture up of it so you can see it.
              Jen

Comment

Here it is. The outershell my grandad made which makes it more special to me but my gran has lost to bar which holds the compass at the top hense why there are 2 photos of it as we had to push the compass back up.

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg
                Jen

Comment

If any official records do exist then I think they would be accessed by the boat's official number rather than its name - as with ships, there are often a lot of boats with the same name, but each has its own registration number. But I'm not sure who they register with - possibly the Inland Waterways Board? Or was it a sea-going boat?
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It was a pleasure boat grandad was doing it up so that he could take my gran out for days when they weren't working.
                    Jen

Comment

Originally posted by jennie View Post
                      Here it is. The outershell my grandad made which makes it more special to me but my gran has lost to bar which holds the compass at the top hense why there are 2 photos of it as we had to push the compass back up.
                      The correct name of the cylinder that holds the compass is a binnacle.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

You may be in for a long haul on this one, but if you do suucced then I would be pleased to know how you did it. My grandfather owned/rented/borrowed a boat in Plymouth and used it as a ferry, but as so many had ferries there back in the 1900's I have had no luck in writing to all the operatives I can think of. I have searched Lloyds lists and searched local newspapers for many years. I wrote to Cardiff, but the first thing they wanted from me was the number of the boat. I haven't got one, only the name of the boat. I wrote to Newfoundland but they were unable to help unless I had the number of the boat and the tonnage. One of the keys to finding more information is the number of the boat plus the tonnage. If you know this then the place to write to is the Cardiff Office for shipping. The name of the boat is almost immaterial because as has already been said there are always boats that have the same name! My grandfather was also a Marine Engineer. Good luck.

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 21-09-08, 21:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                          My grandfather was also a Marine Engineer.
                          So was mine. I found out he was a founder vice-president of the Institute of Marine Engineers.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

... And, of course, notwithstanding any superstitions, people do change the names of boats/ships, so the registration number is more akin to the VIN of a car - more reliable than the licence plate!

Christine

Comment

This might help - you can search by vessel name, vessel number, owner, master etc

CLIP - Crew List Index Project - CLIP finding aids

Jackie
                              Jackie

Comment

This is interesting, I think I have found 4 x great granddad's merchant ship mentioned on the crew list.

If I have the number from there, how do I contact Lloyds to find out if it was registered in his name?

Thanks!

Joanie

Comment

Wouldn't it have been registered as a pleasure boat and not a working ship which might help when locating it.

I'd try the harbour master. Also there maybe an old salt who remembers it.

Does the local free paper have a where are they now type of column or an advice/request section?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thank you all for your advice and help. Thank you Uncle John for telling me what it is called a Binnacle.
                                    I'm not really sure what is around here do you think a trip to the docks would help as wouldn't they be able to tell me where the boat master was or still is?
                                    Going to have a look at that site now thank you.
                                    Jen

Comment

If it is a ship it may well be on the list that Night Owl has suggested but if it is a boat then it won't, and pleasureboats/local river and sea ferries etc tend to come up as boats not ships. For example my own grandfather ran his "boat" from Plymouth to Cawsand, across Plymouth Sound, so was it a Pleasure Boat or a Ferry?? I think it was both. Unfortunately boats back in the early 1900's and earlier were not subject to the same insurance rigours as ships, and even ships back then were often uninsured! So I have not been able to find anything on the insurance line either. You have a much better chance of finding a ship through places as already mentioned, and Greenwich Library can help with ships.

However, this leads you back to needing to know the number and tonnage of the "boat" as the tonnage will sometimes decide whether or not you have a boat or a ship, which is what both Cardiff and Newfoundland wanted from me before they could help me any further.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by ausietrish
                                        If the boat was registerd with llyods of london then it will have a unique name. No other boat or ship will be allowed to share the same name on the register. unfortunately unregistered craft can carry any name it likes and cconsequently many share the same name.

Are you sure about that, Trish? I thought that lots of boats and ships could have the same name and it was only the official number that was unique?
                                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                                        X