Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

London parish records - any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London parish records - any suggestions?

So far I haven't had to do anything more than minimal research in London, so I don't have much idea what resources are available.

I'm trying to find out more about the children of Catherine Mallet(t) (1772-1864) and her husband Alexander Gibbon (c1780-1870).

Catherine was born in New York, and Alexander in Aberdeen. They were married at Saint Mary's, Marylebone Road, London, on 16th May 1809 (IGI and Pallot's), and had at least two children: Catherine Anne Jane and Emily Elizabeth.

Catherine Anne Jane was baptised at St. Anne's, Soho on 22nd December 1810 (IGI).

Emily was born c. 1815 in London, according to the censuses. She never married.

Catherine, Alexander and Emily moved to Staunton, Gloucestershire, sometime between 1809 and 1823 (when she was administratrix of the estate of her brother, Rev Thomas Kennedy Mallet, rector of Dixton and Staunton).

I have Catherine, Alexander and Emily on all censuses from 1841 to 1861. Catherine died in 1864, and Emily and Alexander in 1870.

I can't find a baptism on the IGI for Emily, and I have no idea what happened to Catherine Anne Jane - I haven't found a death or marriage on the IGI, FreeBMD or Pallot's marriage index.

Catherine Anne Jane must have died before 1870, because according to Alexander's death notice in the Aberdeen Journal, Emily (who died 3 months before Alexander) was his "only surviving child".

I haven't found a likely candidate on any of the censuses, so I'm guessing that she died or married before 1841.

Strangely, Alexander (who was a highly educated man) doesn't seem to have left a will - letters of administration were granted to his niece.

Is there anywhere else I should be looking, or is it a question of waiting till the LMA records come online?
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 20-09-08, 18:00.

There's a Catherine Gibbon on the NBI b 1810 d 1829, no middle names though, died in Gloucestershire. I saw this on FindMyPast indexes (I was actually looking for London burials which are not on the NBI). I'm too lazy to get my NBI CD's out in case you have already discounted this burial!

Comment

If Emily was born in London in 1815, then the family presumably didn't move to Staunton until after that date.

I'll take a mosey about.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

They might easily have had more children in Gloucestershire if they moved there soon after 1815. Gloucestershire IGI coverage is mostly poor :o

Comment

I see Alexander is not in Staunton in 1841 and 1851 actually has "absent in London" on the census. Did Catherine move without him then?

Comment

I also like Catherine's 1851 birthplace, transcribed as "NY, Whena British Cohay" when it actually reads "New York, when a British colony".

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
              I see Alexander is not in Staunton in 1841 and 1851 actually has "absent in London" on the census. Did Catherine move without him then?
              Alexander seems to have enjoyed living it up in London. He was there in 1841 and 1851, and back with Catherine in 1861.

In 1851 he's listed as Arthur Gibbon (but I'm 99% sure it's him), all alone with Lady Glamis and a bevy of servants.

He was trustee to the Bowes-Lyon family, so he may have been there on official business.

1841:
              Class: HO107; Piece 678; Book: 10; Folio: 29; Page: 9

1851:
              Class: HO107; Piece: 1477; Folio: 9; Page: 10
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 20-09-08, 18:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                There's a Catherine Gibbon on the NBI b 1810 d 1829, no middle names though, died in Gloucestershire. I saw this on FindMyPast indexes (I was actually looking for London burials which are not on the NBI). I'm too lazy to get my NBI CD's out in case you have already discounted this burial!

That's very interesting, Merry - I thought FMP had the same burials as FHOL, but I didn't find it on FHOL. Off to have a look.

Comment

Aagh, how stupid - got her now on FHOL. Just realised I'd been searching for Catherine Mallet instead of Gibbon :(

The burial was in Staunton, so it's sure to be the right one.

Thanks very much
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 20-09-08, 18:49.

Comment

What a shame, though - I was hoping to find some living descendants of Catherine's father Jonathan, but her brother and sister and both her children died childless, so the line ends there, unless she had any more children that I haven't found yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X