Oh dear, has my chance gone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear, has my chance gone??

For quite a while i have been trying to locate some info or pictures about a chap in my tree. A military man who earned the OBE amongst other things.

Thanks to a couple of FTF members i know where and when this chap died, (1962 in Africa) and downloaded the military documents for him from the TNA. I also learnt the names of his two children and had a newspaper announcement sent relating to his daughter's marriage in the early 1970's.

Today i have found what i think is the death ref for the daughter's husband (2003, district of Bath), i have had a quick peep around 192.com trying to find anything for the daughter to show where she may be as well as the bmd index for any possible entries for her, nothing obvious anywhere. Without the death cert i have to assume they were still married at the time.

I have checked TP, Ancestry, GR etc and none of the names appear (daughter, hubby or father) on any trees.

Any other suggestions to try and locate her, she would now be around 60 if still around. Preferably without going down the credits/ppv route if possible
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 20-09-08, 15:43.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Hi Glen - Have you tried the site that Peppie recommended a few days ago?

Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Glen

She may have remarried and thus be under another surname. I can only suggest putting a notice or letter in newspaper local to where you last knew she was living.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Telephone Directories on Ancestry ?

That's all I can think of .... or your local library should have some current ones for that area, but if you've already tried 192 ... hmmmmmm

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
          Hi Glen - Have you tried the site that Peppie recommended a few days ago?

http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...-pipl-com.html
          I have had a good google and also tried the site, i just get the same details as a normal google search i'm afraid. The hubby was a Capt. in the army when the marriage took place and he went on to write a history of his regiment, apart from references to his book there isn't anything listed anywhere.

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
          Glen

She may have remarried and thus be under another surname. I can only suggest putting a notice or letter in newspaper local to where you last knew she was living.

Hi Nell

I did use the Bath bmd (now complete to 2007) as well as the Ancestry bmd, there doesn't appear to be anything for her name either pre or post '84 using either database in marriages or deaths (unless it was soon after the marriage).

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I reckon the death cert will be the only way to go, hopefully it will reveal something with the informant (knowing my luck it will be the coroner though!)

The name of the hubby is quite distinctive so i'm pretty certain the death ref is the right one, but as to where the family may have been at any time (military families and all that) is a mystery.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Have you tried contacting his regimental organisation?

Bearing in mind he was involved enough to write their history it's probable he was well known to them and took part in any activities. They may have an up to date contact for the widow and be prepared to pass on a letter.

I can't think of the word for regimental old boys organisations - I bit like the alumni, but not. Hope someone knows what I mean.

Zoe
              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Hmmm

I have found two possible remarriages, both in the 1990's, suggesting a possible divorce.

One of them comes up as a match on 192 with the spouse named in the household (2 matches for 2002-2007 electoral rolls but i don't know where in the country), the marriage is in the South of the country which makes it look more promising.

Decisions decisions.

Do i go for the 2003 death cert and hope she is mentioned somewhere or di i chance the 1996 marriage cert. Her father has an unusual name so that could be the clincher.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

WHy not apply for the marriage with the father's name as a reference point?
                  Zoe in London

Comment

Possible re-marriage for first hubby found too, not long before the death reg, again the south west connections for the two events could be a clue.

Re the ref check, i'm so wary of them having to be exact (and the father has a name that is often mistranscribed) i would probably chance the cert without.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

You could use just the maiden surname though which would narrow it down as it's not going to be the same as the name she married under.

Saves misspellings on the first name (unles it's the surname that is unusual in which case ignore me)
                      Zoe in London

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                        You could use just the maiden surname though which would narrow it down as it's not going to be the same as the name she married under.

Saves misspellings on the first name (unles it's the surname that is unusual in which case ignore me)
                        I know what you mean Zoe, i'm just paranoid about ref checks via the GRO :D In fact i'm pretty paranoid about the GRO anyway! I tend to avoid them if i can.

And having found the name mistranscribed so many times it makes me very wary.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

HI Geln

Have you tried to Contact Bath newspapers to see if there was a death announcement of this said man who was a Captain, maybe there were other names mentioned.
                          WendyP

Comment

Working...
                          X