Tips required please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips required please

My grandfather always insisted that he was born in Bootle, Lancashire, in 1874. I have his birth cert which gives the address of where he was born as....142 Mount Pleasant, in the sub-district of Mount Pleasant, Liverpool

Would the Mount Pleasant district be in Bootle ????

I am also looking for the birth of his older sister who was born about 1871, according to her declared age on her 1905 marriage cert.

I have a choice of 4, right place, right year....are there any tips so that I can avoid spending a possible £28?

Kathlyn

Mount Pleasant is a district in Liverpool south of Lime Street railway station.

Bootle is a separate town to the north of Liverpool.

Your grandfather may have been brought up in Bootle or lived there for a time or been told he was born there. What people say isn't necessarily true.

The sister - where were her parents living n 1871 census. Where does she say she is born 1881, 1891, 1901 and what is her age then.

If you give me her name and parents' names I can check if you don't have access to Ancestry.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Is there anything here: Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths

Some of the local BMD sites give more info than the GRO index (age-at-death or MMN much earlier than the GRO index, for instance) - altho' they don't usually give quarters of registration - just the year (or sometimes only a block of years!).

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

good morning Kathlyn....I am 57 and live in Liverpool....in the 1960`s when I was a teenager Bootle was separate from Liverpool and even had their own police force...that all changed about 1963 when Bootle became part of Liverpool.
        Mount Pleasant is a long street in Liverpool city centre , very well known to all us scousers...I know there were a couple of work houses in Brownlow Hill/Mount pleasant...what I don`t understand is that anyone born in Mount Pleasant would be registered in West Derby district office...Bootle was a different town in the 19th century..Mount Pleasant to Bootle is about 9 miles away...(but there`s always a chance he was born in a workhouse and then taken by a family member to live in bootle)...you have to realise that Liverpool in 1874 was THE busiest port in the world and was very heavily populated...the workhouses were full to the brim and poverty was rife in Liverpool.This is only an option for you to look at....good luck..Allan;)
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

hi Kathlyn.....I`ve just checked on www.workhouses.org and there was a very large workhouse on Mount Pleasant called Swansea house ...the new roman catholic cathedral now stands there....there`s a map of the workhouse..with a little research I`m sure you can find out if it was 142 m/pleasant...allan;)
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

I have his birth cert which gives the address of where he was born as....142 Mount Pleasant, in the sub-district of Mount Pleasant, Liverpool
            When you say you have his birth cert, do you mean an old one or one you have bought?

You needs to match up the birth cert with the 1881-1901 census and with the father's details from his marriage cert etc.

Same goes for his sister

Comment

Hi Merry,

The birth cert I have is one I purchased a short while ago and the details on it match up with other info I have. I have found 5 possible birth entries for his sister but am hoping to narrow it down before I go ahead and get the cert.

Kathlyn

Comment

Kathlyn, if you specify "checking points" when ordering the sister's birth certificate, for instance her parents' names, then the GRO will only charge you £3 instead of £7 if the cert you order doesn't match (but then they won't send you the cert). Often if you order the cert from the local register office instead of the GRO and give them all the information that you have, then they will do the search without charging extra, but I don't know whether that would apply in Lancashire now that they have their new system.

If you are ordering from the GRO, then you might find it works out cheaper to order by post, phone or fax, because it looks as though that will only cost you £11.50 including the search fee (it says you can only order online without the full GRO reference if you have the exact date of birth).

Order Certificates: Certificate fees - Birth, marriage and death certificates
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I have found 5 possible birth entries for his sister but am hoping to narrow it down before I go ahead and get the cert.
                  Does she appear on the 1871 census?

Comment

Hello Merry,

I have been unable to find the family on the 1871 census. John and Mary Roberts married in 1868 and Mary Ellen was born by 1870. They always lived in the Liverpool area.

Kathlyn

Comment

Do the occupations give any clue? For example miners and sailors moved around a lot.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John,

Mary Ellen gave her father John`s occupation on her marriage cert. as Joiner.

The death cert I have for her father, John Roberts, gave the cause of death as..."Falling off a roof whilst at work".

Kathlyn

Comment

I have to go off line now but would be most grateful for any help with this problem.

Kathlyn

Comment

Working...
                          X