Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burried or cremated?

hi,

how can i find out if my my grandad was burried or cremated? there is only me and sister alive and neither of us where around when grandad died.

i have the address where he died, which is just around the corner from the church he was in the choir of.

i cant find record of him on the crematorium records but that doesnt mean i have missed him. his wife was cremated when she died quite a few years later.

i have contacted the church where he was in the choir and have not had a reply, and i have been to the church 4 times and it has always been locked.

any ideas?
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

The local council website should have a list of cemeteries and crematoria. You might need to check several.

The burial register of the church where he was in the choir would be a good place to start. Chances are that the funeral service was held there, though I don't know if there are separate records for that. I would suggest you check if the register is at the county records office. If its still in the church, you'd need to contact the vicar.

My gt grandfather was a churchwarden for many years, but was buried in the municipal cemetery as the churchyard was tiny and full.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks nell, getting hold of anyone at the church is going to be fun, as it seems they are only open for sunday worship, but will try and get hold of them. as i said i have looked them the record book at the local crem and i cant see him listed (its not as if lackey is a common name in this area). so burial looks like the answer.

the family moved from the house they were living at when he died to a new house about 15miles away.

Comment

You could try looking through the old newspapers to see if there was a death notice printed, which might have details of his funeral.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

hadnt thought of that, will book a machine at library for a morning when lil man at nursery and see if i can find anything. just av to remember to set an alarm to go get bus to get him!

Comment

You don't have to get hold of someone at the church, just the vicar. He must live somewhere. Findachurch should have contact details.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

have you considered emailing your county council?
              i contacted darlington and the suffolk councils, and they told me my great grandparents were cremated, the dates of death, cremation, and were they were living at the time.

they were really nice and polite, and asked me if i wanted memorial plaques for them. it's worth a shot?

Comment

Working...
              X