What other name did she write under?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What other name did she write under?

Just found out that another of my grandfather's third cousins was a writer called Kathleen Douglas Hewitt.Searching for her on Google book search seems to suggest that she wrote some of her books using a pseudonym, but all the entries I found were no snippet view and I'm having trouble finding out what her pseudonym was. Can anybody help, please?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

from googling on Google books

The Hawthorn Dictionary of Pseudonyms
    by Andrew Bauer - Anonyms and pseudonyms - 1971 - 312 pages
    Page 188
    Martin, Dorothea. Pseudonym of Kathleen Douglas Hewitt (1893- ), mystery writer.
    Elaine

Comment

According to this: Kathleen Hewitt Bibliography of First Edition Books Kathleen Hewitt was born Dorothea Martin in India
      There are loads of books by Kathleen Douglas Hewitt on Amazon
      Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Comment

Elaine you beat me!
        Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Comment

Only just!
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks, both of you. That site has it the wrong way round, Mark - she was born Kathleen Douglas Brown and Dorothea Martin would be her pseudonym. She married a Mr Pitcher and he divorced her; she was still calling herself Mrs Pitcher in 1928 so I suppose she must have married a Mr Hewitt between then and 1932.

*Feels amazon spending spree coming on*
            KiteRunner

Comment

I'd just buy one book for now, Kate, until you see if she was any good as a writer, lol.

OC

Comment

OC, she was related to me - of course she was a good writer!
                KiteRunner

Comment

try the library first?

Comment

I already looked on my local library's catalogue, James, and they didn't have any. It doesn't look as if any of her books have been reprinted recently, unfortunately. I'll be keeping my eyes open in the second-hand bookshops, though!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

You should be able to order them to read from your library via the Inter library lending scheme, for a small fee.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Oh I know, Nell, but I hate to say it, my local library doesn't always manage to register when you return books, and I would really hate to get the blame if they lost it on its way back! Think it would be safer to buy my own copy!
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Not sure what you mean, KiteRunner.

Comment

Nell, what I mean is that quite often when I or one of my kids has borrowed a book from the library and returned it, we then get a postcard to say our book is overdue and we have to go to the library, find the book on the shelf and take it to the librarian to prove that we have already returned it. But if it was a book that didn't even belong to their library, I could end up being charged a fine if they lost the book instead of sending it back where it came from. Which wouldn't surprise me one bit.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Are they a bit hit and miss with their barcode swiping when dealing with a heap of books? I've always found the libraries I've used are very thorough. Perhaps for an inter-library loan they'd take more care, especially as there is extra paperwork to do.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

I have to say I can echo Kate's experience.

Before we went automatic, lol, you dumped your returned books on the table and they dealt with them when they got round to it.

Often, one of the staff's children was helping out and on two or three occasions, I had cards to say I still had a book that had been returned, with all the annoying faff that goes with that situation - it isn't always on the shelf!

However, when I have returned a specially ordered book, they tick it off on some list or other.

We are now automated, so it isn't a problem any longer.

OC

Comment

KiteRunner

I can't see how that can happen. They obviously have a naff returns system! Maybe you should ask them for a receipt! Or go to a bigger branch and order it there.

Comment

Nell, the returns system at the bigger branch seems even worse to me - if the book doesn't belong to that branch, you're supposed to post it through a flap and trust that the person on the other side of the flap will deal with it properly! But anyway, I found her autobiography on Amazon Marketplace for £5 + P&P so I've ordered that. No doubt my mum will want to read it after me, and that way I can pass it on to her. It was tricky trying to decide whether to order the copy that was only £5 and said published 1946 or the one that cost £10 but said "Autobiography with Portraits" published 1945. But I should think the one I've ordered will include the "portraits" too, don't you think? It says it's a hardback, so it seems unlikely that the second hardback edition would be without pictures. I hope! Now I can't wait for it to arrive! Though it's a shame she published her autobiography so early - she lived till 1980 so you would think she could have managed a whole second volume!
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Oooh! Exciting!

Comment

Searching on Google images I found a picture of the War Memorial at St Lawrence, Essex, which lists the WW1 service of two of Kathleen's sisters, so I'll be following those up next. And their father, the Rev. Herbert Brown, wrote a history of St Lawrence and a couple of other books (one on beekeeping!) which have been reprinted recently. And there is an online parish clerk for St Lawrence, so I've just got in touch with him to see if we can share info.

Yes, all very exciting!
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X