World Surname Profiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Surname Profiler

No idea how accurate this is, but it passes the time for a few minutes.

World Names Profiler

I was quite surprised to see that Dowsett is apparently a much more frequently occuring surname in Australia than it is in the UK
    Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 20-09-08, 09:07.
    Joan died in July 2020.

Thanks Joan, Its interesting..

]

Comment

It is interesting but it's scary to see that both my maiden and married names have the highest proportion in Ireland.
      Kit

Comment

Strange I can't get any non-westernised countries to come up. What's the most common name in China or India?
        Kit

Comment

Patel in India?

Lee in China?
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Surprised me that my surname is most commom in USA.

]

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
              Patel in India?

Lee in China?
              No Lee didn't didn't rate a mention for China. I also tried Tran, Wong, Ng, Nguyen. I know they aren't all Chinese as such but they are more so than Smith etc.
              Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                No Lee didn't didn't rate a mention for China. I also tried Tran, Wong, Ng, Nguyen. I know they aren't all Chinese as such but they are more so than Smith etc.
                So far they only have 26 countries on their database and it doesn't include China, have a look at their FAQs

Comment

I think this just gives a rough guide. It lights up all of Australia for one of my surnames, and mostly Australia is desert. It isn't refined enough to show which towns in Australia.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

and the areas in Uk map don't correspond with what I've found in censuses.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, Nell - odd isn't it? - the site doesn't seem to say what years the data covers, so I guess it is virtually useless! Although I think it was intended as a genealogy aid as it was recently submitted by the owners (I think) to Cyndi's List
                      Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 20-09-08, 14:36.
                      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Try the FAQ
                        About the maps and data tables

What data do you use to create the name maps?

All our names and location data are derived from publicly available telephone directories or national electoral registers, sourced for the period 2000-2005.

How do you create the scores used for the maps and the data tables?

We always use the relative frequency of a name compared to the overall population in an area. This is expressed as a 'Frequency Per Million' people living in an area, and is abbreviated on the website as FPM.
                        World Names Profiler

Comment

Oops - missed that!

Thanks Peppie
                          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Oh, blummin' percentages again! Misleading at best.

If you have a very unusual surname like Wigglebottom, there may be 200 of them in London, but they won't show up on this site because 200 is only a tiny fraction of one percent.

There may be one Wigglebum on the Isle of Rocks, but as the total population of the Isle of Rocks is only 5, then it will show a 20% distribution.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Peppie View Post
                              So far they only have 26 countries on their database and it doesn't include China, have a look at their FAQs
                              Thanks I didn't read the FAQs. :o

OC I tried an uncommon name I believed to be predominately French but there are about 10 in Australia. It gave me a percentage of 0.2 for Aust. So there is a chance for Wigglebottom. ;)
                              Kit

Comment

Well I've done my name - LINKSON - with the advantage of knowing where 99% of them live

It's showing none in Canada where the 2nd greatest concentration is. And also none in Australia.

It's peculiarly showing one in Spain - mo idea who that is but would be very interested to find out.

In the UK, were apparently 1.62 people in every million (!!) are called Linkson it reckons the most common forenames are Bobby, Lisa, Carl, Gavin and Janet but there's only one of each of them.

There are 3 Stevens and Williams. And an incredible 4 James' and Johns who it doesn't pick up at all.
                                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I was interested to see that the largest number of Stowells is in New Zealand. But was more interested that Ancestry had a book out last year on the name. Sadly no longer in stock at Amazon :(
                                  Lynn

Comment

I suspect those Ancestry books are largely useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn The Forest Fan View Post
                                      I was interested to see that the largest number of Stowells is in New Zealand. But was more interested that Ancestry had a book out last year on the name. Sadly no longer in stock at Amazon :(
                                      Lynn,
                                      The Stowells in New Zealand are distantly related to me. I can't remember the details at the moment, but a daughter or grand daughter of one of the brothers who emigrated in the mid 1800s wrote a book about her father/grandfather. This branch originated in Essex. The brothers who emigrated were the sons of Jeremiah and Rebecca (Philbrook) Stowell. Let me know if you have a link!
                                      Jenny

Comment

Mary

A friend bought one of those books from Ancestry - cost £45 I think. He has a rare surname and was very excited.

He showed it to me. It was basically a telephone directory type listing of people with the same and similar surnames, with a few half-hearted suggestions as to the origin of the name. (Completely wrong in his case at least, the surname is an anglicising of a French surname).

Frankly, it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X