William Nichols Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Nichols Marriage

I was the winner of last weeks WDYTYA (thank you very much) and I asked about a marriage between William Nichols and a Maria, surname unknown.

Through deduction, the only one not discounted was between a Maria Sherwin and William Nichols. I have now received this cert and it is the wrong one, unfortunately.

I would gratefully receive any help or advice as to what to do next as I am completely stumped on this one.

Thanks very much,

regards,

treesa

where and when?
    Jess

Comment

The most obvious possibilities are that either her real name was either Mary or Elizabeth (Elizabeth, because of the 1871 census) in which case it would be difficult to find the correct marriage, especially where there are so many possible spellings for the Groom's surname.

Or......(more likely, imho) they were never formally married. And the most likely reason for this is that Maria/Elizabeth already had a husband. If only she had been a bit more specific about her birthplace (and first name lol) we might have been able to find her before she was with William.

Did you ever find anything that looked like her death registration in the name Nichols (or variants)?

Comment

Hi Jess

1861: RG9 25 f141 p9

1871 RG10; Piece: 62; Folio: 7; Page: 7

William Nichol was single on the 1851, then has wife Maria in 1861 and Elizabeth in 1871. We think she is probably the same woman both times, but don't know who she is!

Comment

I have an ancestor born NICOLLS and married as NICHOLS
          I have one born SCHACHT and married as Sacht......I honestly don`t see how they can marry with different spellings when they have to show their birth certificates,but...I suppose you could check for different spellings as Merry mentioned...allan;)
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

People didn't have to show their birth cert when they got married. That's how they were all able to lie about their ages! lol

Comment

The problem is, Allan, that there are dozens of possible marriages if you consider all the spellings. treesa has eliminated many of the marriages and the one she bought the cert for was the most likely remaining. Unfortunately, this couple didn't have any children, so we can't determine Maria's maiden name from a child's birth cert :(

Comment

Thanks very much for all your advice. This line will be a dead end I think, as having tried to go back from brother Peter, and now William, with no result, I don't know what else I can do. No other line of enquiry to follow, no wills etc.

If I did find a marr between Maria/Eliz. and William then maybe by going back a census I may have been able to find the unmarried (or prev. married) Maria/Eliz actually down as a nurse.

Just a thought, but I think this time my thoughts will come to nothing!

Comment

Just thought I'd mention that my husband had some Nicholls/Nichols ancestors (from Devon) who were sometimes registered as Nickles.
                  :D Carolyn

Comment

Thanks very much. I have tried all possibilities, just have to resign myself to a dead end I think, unless something else comes up.

treesa

Comment

Working...
                    X