Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedfordshire parish records?

Does anyone happen to have / have access to BEDS. PRIME CD-ROM
    Bedfordshire Parish Registers Index (Master Edition) by any chance?

researching a Thomas Barker c1799 and came across mention of this on the net.

Thank you,
    Vonny

Mind you - I wouldn't mind anyone having access to any parish registers in Bedford! :D

I'm looking for a 'male' Barker/ Bacher / Barken married to a 'female' Dudley with offspring that includes a Thomas around the 1780's onward.

Comment

Most of them are on the IGI apparently, I was told this by the archives. I do have the prime cd somewhere but its really an index only.

Have a look on the IGI first and see what comes up. I only have paper records for Clifton and Shefford.

Comment

There's this one, but it's submitted:

Elizabeth Dudley
        Event(s):
        Birth: About 1764 Of, Wilshamstead, Bedford, England

Marriages:
        Spouse: Thomas Barker
        Marriage: 13 JUN 1785 Wilshamstead, Bedford, England

Comment

Sorry, I haven't got time to look at any more! I got to entry 1,300 looking at Dudleys in Bedfordshire on the IGI search.

Comment

Gee Merry - that is incredible!

i'm stunned to find that such a marriage exists!

I am just grasping at straws at this stage!

Does submitted mean it hasn't been checked?

Comment

Submitted means the entry had been given to the LDS church by someone. It could be 100% accurate, having been viewed in the parish registers, or it could be a total figment of someone's imagination, or something between the two!

Comment

Have you found Thomas b 1799 on any census? I was wondering about his birthplace.

Comment

I have only accessed the 1841 census because at some stage in time Thomas c1799 came to Australia - whether involuntarily or not I don't know!
                  So I have spent all afternoon trying to see if i can find a cluster of male siblings anywhere. (told you I was clutching at straws.)

I have checked the 1841 census for all Barkers in bedforshire - surprisingly there weren't thousands!! :D

i have found - among others

Elizabeth Barker 85 (c1756); Samuel Barker 50 (1791); and three children in their 20's/late teens Civil parish: Sandy, bedfordshire.

i am hampered by not understanding the English system as this is the first time I have seriously tried to find someone!
                  Last edited by Yvonne from Oz; 20-09-08, 12:51.

Comment

There is a Thomas Barker c1801 parish: Leighton Buzzard; another with the same birthdate at Sandy and a Thomas Barker c1811 Parish: Marston Moretaine

I was hoping that if someone could find a marriage of a Barker and a Dudley then I might be able to find their children's baptisms?
                    Last edited by Yvonne from Oz; 20-09-08, 12:53.

Comment

However, Thomas (d1887) was definitely in Australia by 1854 cause he married that year. However, if his death cert has the approx birthdate right then he was 55 when he married out here. And that is late for a marriage! (although they had 5 kids)

maybe he was married before he came to Aust!

BUT - if he came before the 1841 census then he won't show up! hence looking for a cluster of siblings.

Comment

Ah, so was it his death cert that gave you the parental surnames? Did it give his place of birth as Bedford or Bedfordshire? (Or something else, or nothing at all?? I'm not good with Aussie records! lol)
                        Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 20-09-08, 13:05.

Comment

Lots of Barkers on this site and a couple were transported
                          Bedfordshire & Luton Archives and Records Service - Gaol Register Search Page
                          Heather

Comment

Place of Birth on the death cert was Bedford. No father's name, mother unknown Dudley.
                            Son gave the info. so who knows if it is correct!!

Comment

Heather - that is a brilliant page - thank you.
                              I wouldn't have known where to look for that.

Comment

Hmmmmmmm, stealing a sheep! this is my OH's family tree. The sheep stealer should go nicely with the pig stealer!!! :D :D

I have to go to bed - it's nearly 10.30pm here and I have spent hours on the computer today - my eyes have had it!

night everyone and catch you tomorrow.

Comment

Yvonne, once you've narrowed things down a bit I don't mind having a sniff round the transcribed/filmed parish registers in Bedford library. Bedfordshire is quite a small county, but the placenames already mentioned are scattered all over the place.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Good Morning,

Uncle John If you could possibly check for any offspring of Elizabeth Dudley and Thomas Barker from the marriage that Merry found:

Elizabeth Dudley
                                    Event(s):
                                    Birth: About 1764 Of, Wilshamstead, Bedford, England
                                    Marriages:
                                    Spouse: Thomas Barker
                                    Marriage: 13 JUN 1785 Wilshamstead, Bedford, England

Then I think that would be the best lead I have because if they have a Thomas, then that is a step in the right direction. The time frame for Thomas would need to be around
                                    1790 - 1810

Comment

Yvonne - I've printed out your request. I don't know what parish records are held at the library but Wilshamstead (now usually shortened to Wilstead) is not far south of Bedford so there's a good chance. Otherwise I might make my first ever trip to the County Records Office, which is not far from the town centre. Not quite sure when but it should be this week.
                                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

From the IGI, the children may have been born in Marston Moretaine.
                                        Ancestry family tree has Elizabeth Dudley born St Albans ......would that info be in marriage register?
                                        Heather

Comment

Working...
                                        X