Register of Seaman's Services at TNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Register of Seaman's Services at TNA

If I am unable to locate someone on the National Archives site on this register, does that mean that there would not be any records at Kew itself?
    I am hoping to be able to go to Kew as a birthday treat in December 7 want to prepare myself fully. My gg grandfather William Alfred Levy was in the Navy aboard the Clio in 1861 as a fifer & bugler & in 1871 + 81 he was a drummer & drum sargent, based in Chatham. His records do not appear on the site, so does this mean they don't exist?
    Lynn

Could he be this one?

The National Archives | The Catalogue | Quick reference
    Elaine

Comment

Crikey Elaine, how did you do that? I am obviously looking in the wrong place
      Lynn

Comment

The National Archives | the Catalogue

Click on Search the Catalogue - and enter name.
        Someone with more knowledge than me would probably have been able to tell you what Department/Series code was needed as well! I just left it blank.
        Elaine

Comment

You will see a tab at the top right - Request this.
          If you cannot wait until December when you visit, then send off for a quote.
          Elaine

Comment

Oh Elaine, this is so exciting. I am going to put in other names & see if his dad's papers are there as well
            Lynn

Comment

I did find another William Levy, Kent, and I wondered whether it was yours as well.

Detecting your browser settings
              Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 20-09-08, 08:36.
              Elaine

Comment

OMG I have found his dad as well! I am feeling almost sick with excitement now!
                Lynn

Comment

Yes Elaine, that is the one. He appears in the 1861 as a Greenwich pensioner before dying in 1865. Wonder how many more we can find?
                  Lynn

Comment

This could either get very expensive or you will want an early birthday present!

Don't get too excited as sometimes what you receive is a bit disappointing - but at least it is better than nothing. If you click on the Request this tab I think it tells you how many pages it contains.

In the past when I have requested quotes for documents, I have received separate quotes each containing postage charges. A quick email to them asking if they would combine the postage has received a positive response.
                    Elaine

Comment

Well by putting in the name Levy & ADM 157, I found records for 8 family memebers! This included one who had been a bit of a mystery, as I had only found him on one census. But that mystery is solved as the reason given for discharge is lost at sea. I could almost cry, he was only 15. I found the listing for my ggg grandfather & 3 of his brothers, but not his father, which is a shame. I might get a quote for some of them & see how much it is.

Thank you so much Elaine, you have made my day
                      Lynn

Comment

Ooh well done - great result!
                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                        X