ancestry image viewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ancestry image viewer

Can somebody PLEASE help me to get rid of the enhanced image viewer.

I tried to upload it months ago ... since then it keeps asking me if I want to download it every time I try to get an image ....... BUT IT FLASHES .... in the past I've managed to catch the 'continue' button, BETWEEN FLASHES ......but now my browser is faster ...so it's flashing faster and I can't catch it.......(cant help laughing while I'm typing this ...it sounds so funny..but it's not)

I've tried to do what the 'problem page' says on Ancestry ... but it's not working

Jean
    Last edited by Jean and Tonic; 05-01-09, 14:50.
    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

I'm not sure if you are actually able to open the image Jean. If you are, then you should be able to opt for the basic image viewer by clicking on "options" on the bar above the image itself.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

thanks gillian

Yes.... once I get in ..I'm already on the basic image viewer ..... but I seem to have muddled it all up when I tried to download the enhanced viewer ..... so I'm have trouble getting in.

I just want to go back to where I was

Comment

Sorry Jean - I can't help then. I've just tried returning mine to the basic viewer on IE (I usually use firefox) and it doesn't flash me when I try to open an image.

If you are currently using IE, you could always try using Firefox and leave the setting at the basic viewer.
        Gillian

Comment

I already use Firefox Gillian ..... I thought of trying IE...lol

Everytime I try for the image ... I get the page asking me if I want to get the enhanced viewer .... I just use to click 'No continue' ...... then one day I thought I'd have a go at getting it .......since then ...I get the same page but it flashes ...and I can't catch the continue button.

Ohhh gosh ... it's driving me mad.... never mind I'll keep trying different things.

Comment

lol Jean.

Well, good luck with trying to catch the flasher :D
            Gillian

Comment

Jean - are you using Vista - if so I wonder if you should try to download the advanced viewer whilst in administrator mode to see if that solves the flashing.

Double check your options tab and make sure you are viewing using the basic viewer.
              Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine .... No I'm using XP..... please tell me, where on earth do I find the options tab? .....

Sorry ..... you mean above the image .......

Sometimes yes ..... sometimes no ....so I change it to basic ........ but it doesn't help me to get into the image ...... I still have the flasher........

Once I get the image, it's OK while I stay on the site ...... once I go off the site, then try to return I have to start from scratch.

Jean
                Last edited by Jean and Tonic; 21-09-08, 23:32.

Comment

There are a lot of format instructions on that post but I see that Margaret has already posted this some time ago.
                  You might find it easier to follow on this thread - post #5
                  Elaine

Comment

Elaine

I just deleted that post because it just went stupid.

kept putting font and the type face. don't know why.

Comment

Do you want to copy your post from the other thread -and then I will remove this chat!
                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine ..... I've just found Margaret's instructions ..... by heck there's alot of them but I'll have a go at following them....
                        I notice you said you'd deleted the thread Margaret..but it came up with Elaine's link...hope it doesn't vanish when I'm halfway through.... lol
                        Jean

Comment

Oh dear ..I can't understand it Margaret ...lol .. and I haven't been further than 'C'

Comment

Originally posted by Jean and Tonic View Post
                            I notice you said you'd deleted the thread Margaret..but it came up with Elaine's link...hope it doesn't vanish when I'm halfway through.... lol
                            Jean
                            Jean, it was a post on this thread that Margaret deleted (between the current post nos. #8 and #9) as the formatting wasn't working properly.
                            Elaine

Comment

Oh dear ..I can't understand it Margaret ...lol .. and I haven't been further than 'C'
                              Try to stick with it, as it does work honestly. Got it from Ancestry ages ago and kept it in case it happened again, which it hasn't as yet. (touch wood)

Comment

Margaret I know where the file is in Windows that they say is the problem, mfimgvwr.ocx

I was thinking of just deleting it .... until I noticed it is an Active X file created a couple of years ago when I bought the computer, I thought it was maybe a file I'd just created..........so for now I think I'll leave it where it is and put up with my problem Margaret. I do manage to get the image in the end .... if I start mucking about, I might end up getting nothing ....lol.
                                Jean

Comment

I suppose you could back the file up before deleting it, or just try renaming it?
                                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Margaret I know where the file is in Windows that they say is the problem, mfimgvwr.ocx

I was thinking of just deleting it .... until I noticed it is an Active X file created a couple of years ago when I bought the computer, I thought it was maybe a file I'd just created..........so for now I think I'll leave it where it is and put up with my problem Margaret. I do manage to get the image in the end .... if I start mucking about, I might end up getting nothing ....lol.
                                    Jean
                                    Jean

The way Ancestry tell you to sort it really does work. There is no need to put up with the way it is at the moment.
                                    If you follow the instructions step by step you will do it.

Comment

Thankyou Elaine, Kite and Margaret.

i've got it sorted at last ..... I got on to Ancestry as well Margaret.... I did the easiest thing first ..... cleared cache, cleared cookies and enlarged the cache to 300MB ...... and it worked.

I have the enhanced viewer ..... can't believe it after all this time.

The only problem is that some of my links don't work without sorting my 'Log in' again.

Ancestry started with the 'new page' but I've got that back to the old way as well.

Can't thankyou all enough...... I wouldn't have stuck with it, I'd have just gone back to my old way .... after having a moan......... but I felt guilty because you were all trying to help

Thanks
                                      Jean

Comment

Working...
                                      X