Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know - Eseex ( Inagtestone )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know - Eseex ( Inagtestone )

This is a desperate plea for where to look for inforramtion. I will take any ideas that anyone has :

I'm trying to find out about an ' Orphanage ' in Ingatestone Essex.

In 1923 my Granfathers brother was sent to a this place as a 6yr old child after his father died although he wasn't technically an orphane as his mother was alive. I think is was case of money - No one being able to stay at home look after him !

His father was a postal working when he died and it's possible that a pension payout paid for him to go to the orphanage ( Or school ? ) - I have been to the POstal Archives in London and found nothing.

Now I have tried for years to see if there are any possible records, but keep coming up blank.

I have photo's of him at the 'Orphanage' and on a day trip with other 'pupils so I am certain he went somewhere.

I have first hand accounts of a building being pointed out as to where he went.

He only lasted about year as he was so miserable and returned home to be bought up mainly by his older sister...

But I have managed to come up with nothing.

Does anyone know Essex and Igatestone ? Can anyone help or make suggestions as to what to try now before I give up completley

Esta x
    Esta

I would have thought that the Essex Records Office would have information about such an institution

Essex County Council - About the Essex Record Office

or even quicker, perhaps, you could email Ingatestone Library

Brentwood Borough Council - Education and Learning - Libraries - Ingatestone Library
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Esta

Sorry if this is stating the obvious but have you tried contacting the Essex records office? They may be able to tell you who holds the records, alternatively contact the council. They would/should have some idea.
      Vikki -
      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Or perhaps this will have the answer:

THE ROYAL WANSTEAD SCHOOL - a Victorian charity

It says the Infant Orphan Asylum (which changed its name to Royal Wanstead School in 1938) evacuated its pupils to Ingatestone Hall during WW2 to escape the blitz.
        Last edited by Little Nell; 19-09-08, 20:59.

Comment

Victorian London - Charities - Infant Orphan Asylum

Royal Wanstead Children's Foundation - History

are just the first two in a list of sites that came up when I googled "Infant Orphan Asylum"

Hope this helps you in your quest.

Comment

Nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious as it sometimes gets over looked

I did try the records Office - the last time being about a year ago but got no response - Wouldn't hurt to try again I suppose.........
            Esta

Comment

I emailed Essex and got no reply, called them and they were really helpful

good luck
              Vikki -
              Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Hi
                There was a children's home at Shenfield, about 10 mins drive away from Ingatestone which was called "Hutton Poplars". My cousin worked there for many years from the mid 1960's. I believe that it was owned by one of the London boroughs, possibly Hackney. I visited the home a couple of times and do remember that the buildings were very old and were on a very large site. I think the buildings were pulled down some years ago and the site was redeveloped.
                Moggie

P.S Just found this request on curiousfox site which proves the orphanage was in existence c1920. Also the London borough may have been Poplar, hence the name.

Shenfield Childrens Home (Aug 07 Green)
                Can any one give me any info on a childrens home in Shenfield around 1916-1920? it may also have been called Hutton Poplar Orphanage. I believe my father, Leonard Daley and his brother, Edward were taken there when they were orphaned.
                Last edited by maudarby; 19-09-08, 23:20.

Comment

Hi Esta

I live close to Ingatestone and used to work there. You said you've got photos - do they show the school? If the building is still there I (or someone else) might recognise it

Jackie
                  Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                    Hi
                    There was a children's home at Shenfield, about 10 mins drive away from Ingatestone which was called "Hutton Poplars". My cousin worked there for many years from the mid 1960's. I believe that it was owned by one of the London boroughs, possibly Hackney. I visited the home a couple of times and do remember that the buildings were very old and were on a very large site. I think the buildings were pulled down some years ago and the site was redeveloped.
                    Moggie
                    This link describes the history of Hutton Poplars

Jackie
                    Jackie

Comment

Esta
                      Did you find our contributions useful in your search for the Ingatestone? children's home.
                      A thank you for people's input to your request would be appreciated.
                      Moggie

Comment

School Ingatestone Essex

Hello Esta

The school your relative attended was most probably The Gate House School, Station Lane, Ingatestone. I was there myself from 1940 until 1948. It took boarders, weekly boarders and day boys. It was never considered an orphanage but a private school. The boarders were sponsored by the Post Office Orphan Homes Benevolent Society. We had all lost our fathers who had worked for the GPO, only I went at the age of 7 rather than 6.

I would be happy to provide you with further information should you so desire it. I understand you have a photograph - I would love to see a copy. Below is a photograph of the school while I was there.

Regards

Tootles
                        Gate House School Photo.jpg

Comment

Hi Tootles, welcome to FTF. You might have to send Esta a Private message which hopefully gets notified to her email address as this thread was started in 2008 and nothing added since then!
                          Margaret

Comment

It's now a private property, converted into flats - there's one for sale on Rightmove.

elaine
                            Looking for: Bassick/Beswick in Lancashire, Wolverhampton, Durham - Bradshaw & Drage in Bozeat & London - Rainbow, Strange, Maginess, Northcote, Thompson, Bartlett & Wheeler in London - Harrington, Gusterson & Sach in Essex

Comment

Gate House School, Ingatestone

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                              Hi Tootles, welcome to FTF. You might have to send Esta a Private message which hopefully gets notified to her email address as this thread was started in 2008 and nothing added since then!
                              Margaret
                              How do I get a private nessage to Esta?

Tootles

Comment

If you go back to one of her posts click n her name (over on the left hand side in bold) and you'll get the option of sending a private message. Good luck!

Comment

Hi Esta I was in Hutton Poplars a children home near Shenfield one stop down the line from Ingatestone. Your great uncle was probably there. It closed about 1983. There is still an old building they called the dining hall that is still standing there an has some pictures and details about its past. Let me know if there is anything specific that you want to know. There are a group of us that go back many years all told that are in touch through facebook and reunions. We have many photos posted from over the decades there. I would be particularly interested in seeing the photo you have from Hutton.

Comment

Chenzxl - welcome to FTF I don't know if you noticed but this thread is very old and nothing has been added for some time so you might be better sending a Private Massage to Esta which gets notified to her email address. You do that by clicking on her name and selecting Private Massage from the drop down list.

The photo is in the link given in post #12, just click on it to view.

Margaret

Comment

cousin

I lived in Hutton Poplars during the 60's. Do you have any more information on your cousin? Can you find out what house they worked in how long etc. There are a number of ex kids and staff that are in contact and I'm sure they would be delighted to hear from your cousin as well.

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                      Hi
                                      Moggie

P.S Just found this request on curiousfox site which proves the orphanage was in existence c1920. Also the London borough may have been Poplar, hence the name.

Shenfield Childrens Home (Aug 07 Green)
                                      Can any one give me any info on a childrens home in Shenfield around 1916-1920? it may also have been called Hutton Poplar Orphanage. I believe my father, Leonard Daley and his brother, Edward were taken there when they were orphaned.

Comment

Hi Tootles
                                        We were just down the road in Shenfield. Did you know Hutton Poplars housing somewhere in th eregion of about 400 kids at any one time. We were mainly from London and the children's home was run by the London County Council closing in 1983. How long was the Gate House going for and how many did it care for?

Comment

Working...
                                        X