• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google books... out of view, help!

Searching for Philip Kitchingman, I found the following book:

The Monthly (alphabetical) record of ... - Google Book Search

but the bit that I want to see isn't in the extract bit that is given
    I can see the tiniest bit that is highlighted but it is only the very bottom of the words.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

This is a common problem, unfortunately.

You can sometimes fool it by closing and reopening your browser and searching for a nearby phrase. You may need to clear your cookies.

Comment

I can't see any more Tom, but if you google his name there is an entry in the Gentleman's Magazine. Don't know if it's the same one as yours though.

The Gentleman's Magazine - Google Book Search
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Mary and Wendy,

I've tried that Mary but I always get the same snapshot :(

Yes that is the same chap Wendy, but this is the announcement of one of his other children.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I can get Kirk on the page but not your name. It's very annoying.
          Kit

Comment

No luck from over here either, I'm afraid.

Tim
            "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Sometimes you don't get the whole thing - just a snippet. I had this problem before and if you click on Where's the Rest it gives the full reason - something to do with copyright and what the author has decided can be shared!!!!
              Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
              Marion
              There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

That's not what Tom means, Marion -there are some snippets where you can't even see the word you searched for, because the snippet's been cut off in the wrong place.

Comment

I managed to get as far as finding:

"Lincolnshire wife of Rev Philip Kitchingman of a daughter"

It's annoying isn't it!?
                  Kind regards,
                  William
                  Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                    That's not what Tom means, Marion -there are some snippets where you can't even see the word you searched for, because the snippet's been cut off in the wrong place.
                    FROM GOOGLE BOOKS But if the book is under copyright, and the publisher or author is not part of the Partner Program, we only show basic information about the book, similar to a card catalog, and, in some cases, a few snippets --
                    - they choose what snippets you can see and it won't necessarily be the ones you want!
                    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

William found the beginning of the bit he could see started with "Lincolnshire"

I tried searching for "Bonby" as this seems to be where the child was born from the census, and guess what? lolol You get the snippet for the entre BEFORE the Kitchingman one, with the very top edge of the word Bonby highlighted on the following line!!!

Time for a coffee, methinks.............
                      Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 20-09-08, 10:20.

Comment

Originally posted by MarionH View Post
                        - they choose what snippets you can see and it won't necessarily be the ones you want!
                        The snippet's supposed to contain the word you searched for, though. It's highlighted in yellow, but sometimes you can just see the yellow highlighting running off the edge of the page, and the search term isn't visible.

Comment

Sometimes you can find the same book in its entirety on archive.org
                          Their search engine takes a bit of coping with, but try a few different relevent terms and you can get lucky
                          Janexxx
                          To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Sometimes there are bits of the page, or whole pages, which you just can't load at all, no matter how hard you try!
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oct. 12, at Bonby, Lincolnshire, wife of Rev Philip Kitchingman, of a daughter
                              that's all there is
                              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I think it was the date Tom was after Zoe.

How did you do that??

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post

How did you do that??
                                  If I tell you that then there'll be nothing left for me to do on here.
                                  Last edited by samesizedfeet; 20-09-08, 15:13. Reason: bad grandma
                                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

pmsl!!

*remembers to pm Zoe every time I struggle with Google books*

Comment

Goodness, I spent ages trying, and I couldn't get the bits that Zoe and William found.

Comment

Working...
                                      X