Seeking Cornford or Lusted on 1861 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Cornford or Lusted on 1861 census

Robert Cornford & Elizabeth Lusted do not apppear to have married.
    They produced 4 children.
    The children were all called Lusted at birth,
    however for the next couple of generations they used either surname varying frequently.

My problem is Isabella birth reg. 1853 as Cornford, in Heathfield, Sussex.
    She married John Lee Dec 1876 using name Lusted in Hailsham, Sussex.
    (Father is John Lusted. One of the witnesses was James Lusted)

1873 Isabella produced illeg. Susannah Lusted
    1876 Isabella produced illeg. Isabella Lusted

1871 census she is a servant in Pevensey, Sussex

1861 census - I cannot find her! :(

Any sleuthing will be much appreciated
    Last edited by BridgetM; 19-09-08, 18:36.
    Bridget

Is there any info to help you from the Sussex Family History Group Sussex Family History Group Home Page? - or the Records Society http://sussexrecordsociety.org/home.asp)?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine, but not so far ...
      I am trying to connect Isabella to Robert & Elizabeth but John is my only known name & their were several :(
      I am hoping that the 1861 census will show some light (but not while it is hiding from me!)
      Bridget

Comment

Have you found the parents on the 1861 census - or is it just Isabella who is missing.
        If they are all missing do you have the names of the siblings, plus places and years of birth for them and the parents.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine,
          I believe the parents to be John b.c. 1818 Sussex & Susan
          there is brother James b. 1850 (probably witnessed marriage)

I am probably blind, stupid or both! But can't find them!
          Bridget

Comment

Originally posted by BridgetM View Post
            Thanks Elaine,
            I believe the parents to be John b.c. 1818 Sussex & Susan
            there is brother James b. 1850 (probably witnessed marriage)
            From your first post I had presumed the parents of Isabella were Robert Cornford & Elizabeth Lusted.

Now I am confused!!!
            Elaine

Comment

There are some possibles in Hailsham Union Workhouse:
              RG9/569 fo 15 p 25

Given by initials only:
              J L, male, age 11, scholar, b Heathfield
              I L, female, age 8, scholar, b Heathfield
              R L, female, age 1, -, b Heathfield

but they seem to be with S L, female, age 35, Widow, b Ringmer

Christine

So S L might be right?? And J L, too
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-09-08, 19:20.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

And this must be the family in 1851:
                HO107/1638 fo 395 p 11

Currently transcribed as COMFORD: Susanna and John, together with their son and John's brother, both called James.

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-09-08, 19:19.

Comment

There's this family in 1851

HO107; Piece: 1638; Folio: 395; Page: 11
                  Fiona. xx

Comment

Thanks Christine ... that is certainly a possibility -I'll have to find John's death

Sorry Elaine, Robert & Eliz. had children & grandchildren who cause much confusion.
                    As Isabella used both the names I believe I should be able to connect her to a child/grandchild of Rob & Eliz.
                    Bridget

Comment

SNAP! Fiona!

Christine

Comment

There are a couple of Hailsham-registered deaths (1855q4 and 1856q1) for John CORNFORD. Perhaps there might be burial info at SFHG to narrow it down for you?

Christine

Comment

Comford !! Now why did I not think of that! You girls are great
                          And it gives a brother James for John! Getting more clues!

Good one Christine - I will email the 'tombstoner' she has helped in the past ...
                          but if they are in the workhouse I doubt they had money for the grave.
                          Bridget

Comment

I don't seem to be able to find a marriage for John Cornford to a Susan/Susannah and as Susan seems to use the name Lusted for her and her children later it might be that Susan's name was Lusted. This might be Susan in 1841 with her parents.

HO107; Piece 1105; Book: 12; Folio: 11; Page: 14
                            Fiona. xx

Comment

Thanks Fiona, I think your Susan is already linked

I feel this might be the marriage -

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Marriages Sep 1844 (>99%)
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ELLIOTT Sarah Jane Lewes 7 541
                              EVANS David Lewes &c 7 541
                              HILANDS George Lewes &c 7 541
                              LUSTED John Lewes 7 541
                              McCONICHIE Susanna Lewes &c 7 541
                              Bridget

Comment

IGI batch M148332 Ringmer, Sussex

28 JUL 1844 JOHN LUSTED m SUSANNA MCCORNCHIE
                                Christine

Comment

HO107/1120/8 Folio: 35 Page: 16
                                  Lewes

They are transcribed as various versions of: Mc'connechie - to be fair, it's written different ways by the enumerator. The apostrophe moves around, and they have one or two Ns in the middle...
                                  e.g. Sussannah Mc'conichie age 20 b in county

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine (It may be hard, but least they were not called Smith;) )
                                    The 2 deaths you found were Isabella's father & gpa! (Tombstoners came up trumps!)

I am delighted to report that I have connected Isabella, her father was Ggson to my unmarried Robert & Elizabeth... and I now have discovered a new 4th cousin who is new to this addiictive hobby!

I am most appreciative of all the help I have enjoyed solving this riddle!!!
                                    Last edited by BridgetM; 20-09-08, 15:18.
                                    Bridget

Comment

I am so glad that what I found has been helpful. It's always a real pleasure to crack - or help to crack - a puzzle like that!

And thanks for letting me know I had been helpful! :D

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                      X