Grumble - 4 week wait for birth cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumble - 4 week wait for birth cert

:(I ordered a birth certificate for OH's great-grandfather from Sheffield Record Office.

I found it on their on-line search facility, and sent off the application and cheque on August 23rd.

I phoned up a couple of weeks ago and they said it would be with me in a week. I phoned up this morning, and someone said they would phone back. I have waited all day and have just phoned again as they close at 4 pm.

They don't know what has happened, and none of them seem able to give me an answer. As it was on their website, I quoted their reference, so they didn't have to search for it on spec. The woman this afternoon can't understand what has happened, but she did say "Family history isn't a priority for us".

I won't hear anything from them now until Monday.

By the way, they cashed the cheque over two weeks ago.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Elizabeth, don't be impatient. After all, you waited nine months for the birth of each of you children.

Hugo

Comment

"Family history isn't a priority for us"

they cashed the cheque over two weeks ago.
      So, if they were putting your request at the bottom of the basket marked "Family History, Low Priority" they should have put your cheque there too :(

Very irritating.

Comment

Merry, the second lady, with whom I spoke this afternoon, phoned me at 4.15 to say she had found the record stuck in the register still. It has to be typed and won't be sent out until Monday, but at least she got back to me and didn't leave the office right on the dot of 4 pm, bless her!

I don't think I'll send for certificates from them again unless I'm really stuck. However, I do have a couple that I need checking out as they have common names and there are several options.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Frustrating isn't it. I wonder how long it would have been had you not called to chase it up

I must admit I rarely use local record offices for certs, but my favourite RO is Lincolnshire. takes about 6 weeks to get a will, the last one I ordered I forgot about until they called to get my 3 digit code from the back of the card!!!!
          Vikki -
          Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

There seems to be a wide variation in local register offices. I'm surprised there isn't an OffReg government department to inspect them all and make sure they are providing a uniform service.

Very annoying as the GRO is quicker than that usually. And its a cheek about your cheque!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
            X