Can you help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help?

A friend has got stuck with this one and I can't find it either.

Need birth/christening and census for 1851 and 61

Mary Tidbury (poss Jane as middle name) bn c 1844 Clapham, Surrey. Father's name William

She married Edward Basson in 1865 in Chertsey. Have census from 1871 so no prob there. Just can't find anything pre-marriage. Marriage Cert says she was a spinster.

No other info available.

Many thanks if you can help.
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Is there no occupation for William? (straw clutching!)

Comment

Gardener
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

There's a Rebecca born Wandsworth 1841, a Charlotte marrying 1846 and a William born 1852, so there clearly were Tidburys in the area.

There's also a Mary bp in Sunbury in 1854, aged 14 who doesn't give parents' details.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I'm finding this one really difficult. Loads of Tidburys from Egham which I'm guessing is pretty close to Clapham and Chertsey? If it wasn't for the fact she put Clapham as birth place on all the census forms I've found, I might have thought she was born somewhere else.

Oh well, I'll keep on trawling.....
          Jules

Comment

Just noticed she used the name Jane in one of the census forms, so I'll check that out too.
            Jules

Comment

There's a William Tidbury, born 1845, Egham, with a daughter Susan b 1871 Windlesham registered in the Chertsey RD. Is this likely to be a relation?
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Clapham isn't really close to Chertsey. It looks as if the family name is filtering across from Berkshire into Surrey. Probably one branch made it up to Clapham/Battersea, didn't like it much and came back.

Comment

I'll follow it up and see if it gets me anywhere. Thanks very much for looking.
                  Jules

Comment

I haven't full access, but it looks as if that William has a sister Mary b 1849 Egham, so way out.

But, there may have been family connections still.

Comment

Thanks Phoenix, I do appreciate your help.
                      Jules

Comment

I've searched high and low for her and William.
                        The only Tidbury's I can find are born in Berkshire.

Is it possible she was illegitimate?
                        Tracy

Comment

What were the names of the witnesses on her marriage certificate to Edward Basson?
                          Fiona. xx

Comment

LOL anything's possible, this one is driving me nuts!

Even if she was illegitimate wouldn't she show up on pre-marriage census? She used the name Tidbury on her marriage cert. I just can't think what else to search under.

I've tried so many variants on the name too that I kept forgetting what exactly I was looking for. I may have to hand this one back as a failure.
                            Jules

Comment

Originally posted by fiona c View Post
                              What were the names of the witnesses on her marriage certificate to Edward Basson?
                              The certificate isn't to hand at the moment, my friend will give it to me next week if he can find it!
                              Jules

Comment

She might be on the census in the name of a step father if her mother either married or remarried after her birth.
                                Fiona. xx

Comment

Originally posted by fiona c View Post
                                  She might be on the census in the name of a step father if her mother either married or remarried after her birth.
                                  I didn't think of that, makes it even more difficult lol. My head hurts
                                  Jules

Comment

I even searched 'Mary bn 1844 Surrey' couldn't get anything from that either, might have to look through the district census... well my friend can do that himself.
                                    Jules

Comment

I tried having a look for a William Tidbury who was a Gardener in either 1841 or 1851. Mostly Ag Labs though :(

If you register on rootsuk.com, you can search for a name and it gives occupations in the transcript without having to subscribe.
                                      Tracy

Comment

I've been wondering whether the Charlotte who married in 1846 was her Mum, though I can't find her in 1851 either.

Comment

Working...
                                        X