Jewish Gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewish Gen

Having watching David Suchet I thought I would register for Jewish Gen just in case anybody could help me. I have clicked on disussion forum but I don't understand it. I was hoping someone might have a clue where my Sudders came from.
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

join the club Pippa I joined ages ago and still dont understand how it works LOL, if you find out let me know

Comment

Pippa, have you seen the entry for Jacob Sudders (transcribed as Ludders) in the 1851 census ref: HO107/1805/593/18 which gives his place of birth as Prussia?

Roger

This information Crown Copyright, from The National Archives of the United Kingdom

Comment

I find the site very useful for my niece's tree - but also confusing. I never seem to end up in the same place twice!

Christine

In his context, researching: FRIEDMAN/FREEMAN (England, Oz, Pikallin in Lithuania), MARKS (England, Oz, NZ, Himbach in Germany), COHEN, JACOBS JONES, & GOLDBERG Llithuania)
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-09-08, 14:54.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

know what you mean Christine I get in a right old state if I try

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Sussex View Post
            Pippa, have you seen the entry for Jacob Sudders (transcribed as Ludders) in the 1851 census ref: HO107/1805/593/18 which gives his place of birth as Prussia?

Roger

This information Crown Copyright, from The National Archives of the United Kingdom
            Thanks but this is the problem. Here is the tale for anyone that hasn't read it on either here on GR yet.

My Great Grandfather was told that his family came from Russia and that the name Sudder came from Mongolia and meant 'Chief'.

Jacob Sudders b. 1775 in Prussia (according to the census) married Alice Pidgeon in Gorleston in March 1800.

My Mum has wondered if there is a Jewish connection as the Sudders are dark in their appearance and watching David Suchet gave me hope.
            Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Jacob might be Jewish, but then again, maybe not. Sudders may be an anglicised version of another name. If he married Alice in a church then he presumably wasn't following the Jewish faith. What was his occupation?
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

He was a sailor!

Comment

I can't see Jacob on any census.

Comment

Here he is in 1851:

HO107/1805/593/18

Comment

Mistranscribed on Ancestry as Ludders. What a shame he said born Prussia and didn't give a placename! Curious that the transcription says "Preußen" when the image says Prussia!

Comment

I know its such a pain as Prussia is huge and its difficult for me to get my head around where it was in relation to modern borders.

Comment

This looks promising!
                          WHKMLA : Historical Atlas, Prussia Page

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

So it could include Latvia and Lithuania then? As well as that purple area to the west?

Comment

And really stupid question would he have answered where he was born or the country at the time of the census?

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa Doll View Post
                                And really stupid question would he have answered where he was born or the country at the time of the census?
                                That's more than a bit open. It probably depends how the question was worded. What he understood by the question, and what he thought the enumerator would understand by his reply. When you think of the variety of replies you get from English people in England... (My G-g-father was born in Maidenhead or Ilford, depending on which census you chose - he was registered as b in Barkingside, but grew up near Maidenhead.)

Christine

Comment

i've got prussian ancestors too pip. they are very difficult. but mine cxame to australia, so i have more info. believe me, once you find out the name of the place they were born in,it does not get easier!! you have to figure out where it was back then, and then what thery call it now!!

your ancestor may have given his place as prussia, but could have been born in russia, poland, bavaria, or austria-hungary!!

good luck, though;)

Comment

Working...
                                  X