Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AAArgh - found a possible treasure on Google books....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAArgh - found a possible treasure on Google books....

but I can't see the name of the book, or where it's come from.

I get the snippet view which tantalisingly appears to give valuable information about the family history but I'm struggling to beat the snippet.

Can anyone even figure out the name of the book I'm after so I can try and buy a copy?

The Theatrical Times - Google Book Search

Have to go have a shower as I"m off to work in a bit so I'm not ignoring anyone. Will try and look in before I go otherwise I"ll be back tonight.

TIA

Zoe
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

okay - I've managed to get a bit more from the snippet

This lady's maiden name was Noel, her father Mr J B Noel is an artist and a gentleman of considerable literary attainments. She was bom in Castle Street, Oxford Street, and is of foreign descent. Her paternal
    grandfather Peter Noel was a native of France, and came to England about the year 1774 an attache to the Count de Guignes, ambassador from
    Now I really am going to get ready
    Zoe in London

Comment

The snippet's from:

The Theatrical Times
      Published by s.n.
      Original from Oxford University
      but annoyingly, it doesn't give the date.

Comment

I managed to bring up a bit more from the same page - it starts on the line below the reference to Count de Guignes:

..grandfather Don Nicola Latilla was Minister of Finance to Ferdinand, King of Naples. Her whole kindred having been a race of painters, musiancs and engravers, and connected with the stage, her choice of a profession was therefore not extraordinary. At an early period she manifested a strong disposition for the boards, and after a short probation in private under the management of Nathan, the musical composer, at the theatre in Catherine Street, where she made her first appearance as...

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
          The snippet's from:

but annoyingly, it doesn't give the date.
          I know - it's driving me bonkers!!!

Managed more of the snippet and I"m dead excited but I can't get further

This lady's maiden name was NOel, her father Mr J B NOel is an artist and a gentleman of considerable literary attainments. She was bom in Castle Street, Oxford Street, and is of foreign descent. Her paternal
          grandfather Peter Noel was a native of France, and came to England about the year 1774 an attache to the Count de Guignes, ambassador from Louis XVI. Her maternal grandfather
          Don Nicola Latilla was minister of finance to Ferdinand, king of Naples. Her whole kindred having been a race of painters,
          It's making my family really interesting but googling "Nicola Latilla" gets nowhere

*turns on shower*
          Zoe in London

Comment

okay - I'm gonna leave you all with what I do know about them and then I won't be back online until I get to work - although probably late in teh evening.

John Peter Noel had son John Baptist Noel c 1784 - 22/1/1859

John Baptist Noel married Maria Sylvia Raimonda Gidi Ann UNKNOWN born 1/9/1782 died 1841

children:

Cyprian ANthony Noel 1804
            Clementina Silvia NOel 1806
            Georgiana Noel 1808-1887 (became Mrs Henry Marston - that's who the snippet is about)
            Henrietta Elizabeth Noel 1810-1892(my 4 x great grandmother, married George Alfred Hodson jr)
            John Henry Noel 1812-1894
            Feredrica Augusta Noel 1817-1843
            Mary Elizabeth Noel 1824 - after 1891
            Zoe in London

Comment

It is a weekly magazine but does not disclose the issue you want.
              However -

Memoirs of Mr Marsden is there ...
              From the page you directed us to -
              Scroll down to The Theatrical Times 1847 & click
              Scroll down to page 201 & read on
              Miss G Noel appears on page 202 ...
              Bridget

Comment

The full view of the 1847 Theatrical Times is available. There's a reference to an actor called Marston marrying a Miss G Noel - is this who you're interested in?

The Theatrical times - Google Book Search

There's a sketch of him on the previous page, and a reference to Charles Kemble on that page.

Comment

Ah, Bridget beat me to it

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post

John Peter Noel had son John Baptist Noel c 1784 - 22/1/1859
                    Might be worth searching for their original French names, Jean-Pierre and Jean-Baptiste Noël.

Comment

Snap Mary
                      I was scrolling hopefully for page 194 & spotted the picture!
                      Bridget

Comment

I think Don Nicola Latilla may be the Cardinal Latilla mentioned here:

Eugenio Latilla - Artist, Art - Eugenio Honorius Latilla

or a relative of his.
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 18-09-08, 14:52.

Comment

I Borboni di Napoli (1734-1825): 1734-1825 - Google Books Result by Harold Acton - 1997 - 820 pages
                          Tanucci e Monsignor Latilla, il confessore del Re, notarono che Ferdinando era rimasto trasecolato quando gli avevano dato la notizia della morte di ...
                          books.google.com/books?isbn=8809210794...
                          The Bourbons of Naples (1734-1825)
                          Tanucci and Cardinal Latilla, the King's confessor, noticed that Ferdinand was astonished when they informed him of the death of...

Comment

That book (The Bourbons of Naples, 1734-1825) was actually written in English by Harold Acton, the aesthete who inspired the character of Anthony Blanche in Waugh's Brideshead Revisited:

Harold Acton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

I found the date!!!!! Purely a matter of not clicking on enough stuff.

I did a "Find this book in a library" and it came up with:

The Theatrical times
                              Type: Journal, magazine : Periodical : Microfilm; English
                              Publisher: London : [s.n.], 1883-1884.
                              OCLC: 13139021

I'm going to try contacting the Theatre Museum to see if they can help out with a copy. I have had my one free search from them but it was quite a few years ago and since then the family theatre connections have increased ten fold so they may be able to point me in more directions.
                              Zoe in London

Comment

Ah, well done. I shall have to remember that technique.

Comment

Working...
                                X