George Edwin Couzens and the Legion of Honour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Edwin Couzens and the Legion of Honour

A cousin told me that our illustrious relative (lol!) George Edwin Couzens received the Legion of Honour because he happened to be mayor of Portsmouth during the centenary of the Battle of Trafalgar.

He said he found this out in the London Gazette.

I'm wondering if he meant Times Digital Archive?

Does anyone have access, just to see if there is a report in the Times? Presumably around Oct 1905.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Wed Aug 19, 1925:
    Obituaries
    Sir George Couzens
    Alderman Sir George Couzens died at Portsmouth on Monday night, aged 73. He was three times Mayor of the Borough, and for his services during the French fleet's visit in 1904 to cement the Entente he was knighted by King Edward and placed on the roll of the Legion of Honour by President Loubet. He was also made an officer of the Royal Order of the Redeemer of Greece. He was a vice-president of the Royal Agricultural Society and a J.P. for Portsmouth.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Googling I came to:
      Gazette Website: PDF Navigator

Dec 18 1905 London Gazette Issue 27865 page 1
      Bridget

Comment

Oh, thank you both!

Another cousin is collecting details of his life, but I don't remember the Legion of Honour bit. He gave the crowds plenty of bread and circuses: laid lots of foundation stones and I have a jubilee cup dished out at a previous jambouree. His wife was paralysed after (I think) a riding accident and his only daughter killed in a traffice accident.

Thanks to Chinese Whispers, my brother has Curzon (lol!) as a name.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
        X