Where to get FTM 2008?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get FTM 2008?

I'm trying to get hold of a 2008 version, as I've seen it in use at a rellie's house, and must say it looks good.

But it's not in stock on play.com, who have the cheapest price. Amazon have it for £36, but it's the de luxe version. Anyone know what the difference is for the 'ordinary' version?

Or should I wait for 2009? De Luxe or not? Oh, I hate decisions! Can anyone help??

Bee.
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

I use TWR Computing - very good service offered and prices include postage and packing.
    Home

FTM 2009 £19.90 which includes a one month Ancestry sub (worth about £9)
    Elaine

Comment

[Just ordered it! So I'll soon find out for myself what's in it. Thanks for the link, Elaine.] Is there much difference between '08 & '09?

And what additional stuff does the de luxe have, do you know? (I'm asking because the rellies had the de luxe, and as I've never bought a de luxe anything (!), I wondered it I should treat myself or if it would be a waste of cash for stuff I wouldn't need.

I'm asking, because you know everything Elaine!

Bee.
      Last edited by Bee; 18-09-08, 12:28. Reason: Updated.
      Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
      COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

I got mine from S&N Geneology supplies for £18.45.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Bee,
          Cannot tell you exactly what the difference is between 2008 and 2009 because I haven't yet received my 2009 version - but according to the website the improvements on 2009 include:

* Exciting new charts and reports
          * Improved data editing and manipulation
          * Enhanced maps, charts and reports
          * A robust "find and replace" functionality
          * Expanded RTF and HTML export
          * Improved file merging and memory usage
          * A way to copy and paste source citations
          * The ability to save and apply templates
          * Increased overall performance
          * Faster navigation and quicker load times

Deluxe versions normally contain a quick reference guide, maybe a training DVD, sometimes a 3 month Ancestry sub. There is no difference in the actual FTM program.
          Elaine

Comment

Is 2009 compatible with XP still as opposed to Vista please??

Comment

Compatible with XP and Vista.

From the TWR site
              Recommended System :
              Windows® XP SP2/Vista™, 1 GHz Intel Pentium® III ( or equivalent), 460MB for installation/512 MB of RAM, 32X CD/CD-R, 1024x768 resolution monitor.
              All online features require internet access.

Minimum system requirements:
              Windows® XP SP2/Vista™, 500 MHz Intel Pentium® III ( or equivalent), 460MB for installation/ 256 MB of RAM, 2X CD-ROM ( required for installation), 800x600 resolution monitor
              Elaine

Comment

Thankyou Elaine I think I might be tempted to upgrade from 2005 based on what everyone is saying.

Comment

Bee if you get it quickly and register it immediately you should get the upgrade to FTM2009.

Comment

Just got off the phone with TWR. 2009 on it's way to me today. Hope the improvements they have added are all worthwhile.

Comment

Heather, I couldn't find the 2008 in stock anywhere online, so I went with an upgrade pack - to 2009 - for £20.

But I can't install it! All sorts of strange error messages that a nincompoop like me doesn't understand!

I'll have to ask for help on the 'Computer' board.

So I'm not very happy with it at the moment! (AND my boiler's packed up so I've no heating or hot water! BAH!) :(

Bee.
                      Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Are you sure the upgrade pack will work if you don't have FTM 2008?
                        Wendy

Comment

Wendy, this is what it says on the TWR site -

"This is an upgraded version of Family Tree Maker 2008. Users of the earlier Family Tree Maker versions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 2005, 2006, 16 or FTM 2008 (including all versions of Family Tree Maker published by Banner Blue or Broderbund or The Learning Company or Mattel or Genealogy.com or Ancestry.com or Ancestry.co.uk or The Generations Network or GSP or Encore or Mindscape) may import their family files into 2009. "

So I assumed it would work. Was I mistaken?

Bee.
                          Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

I would have assumed that it would work too.
                            Wendy

Comment

FTM 2009 is a stand alone program. It will work on it's own or you can import a previous tree to it.

Comment

It also says on the TWR site:

This pack is specifically available for existing users of Family Tree Maker. The pack includes the full Family Tree Maker 2009 program and 1 month premium access to ancestry.co.uk (no credit card required).
                                Note:You do not need to have your old version of Family Tree Maker installed in order to load this program.

Bee, have you been in touch with TWR - and if so what did they say?
                                Elaine

Comment

Elaine, I spoke to Tony there, and as he suggested I sent him the number and what the windows were saying:-
                                  "C:\DOCUME~1\Mum\Locals~1\Temp\{74671B15-9C20-48A6-998A-BC397012B248}\InLib.dll

More windows revealed when I shut the long-number one -

Window titled ' FTM 2009 InstallShield Wizard - says 'File Missing : BuildNumber.txt is required in the SUPPORTDIR'

Closed that - another window titled CoCreateObjectDotNet Error - Error Number - 214721 9705"

I got an email back:-
                                  I’ve done a bit of research on the internet and the following link wioll take you to a message forum where you will see it has more to do with your operating system rather than the FTM program.

Installation problem with FTM 2008

Do please let me know how you get on.

I did take a look, but it didn't help.
                                  Then I did what Dave Pusey suggested, and downloaded Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.

I've just sent this back to Tony:-
                                  "It did enable me to load the programme, but every time I click on the icon to open FTM '09 it spends 2 - 3 minutes 'initiating' the programme! And it takes ages to do anything, eg when I open a new page on there. And I keep getting a blue screen telling me it's had to shut the computer down, then when I restart the computer I get a message telling me it was due to a faulty device or softwear. The upgrade disk is the only new thing I've got on there, and I've only had problems since loading it, so could it be that? If so, do you think you'll need to send me a fresh disk?"

I'm so frustrated! I don't know if the problem is caused by my ignorance or by faulty software, and I just want to play with my new toy!!

By thanks for your ongoing interest. Have you got any suggestions?

Bee.
                                  Last edited by Bee; 26-09-08, 14:22. Reason: Missed a bit of the ongoing saga!
                                  Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Working...
                                  X