Mary Ann Madin 27 Laundress
    Charles H 6
    Helen 3
    Emma 2

Living at Croft Yard, Staveley, Derbys.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

The 1861 ref is: RG9/2536 fo 87 p 34

And of course - those children's names could be Helen/Ellen/Helena and Emma/Emily - plus misspellings of either!

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 17-09-08, 17:27.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Do you know if they were all alive in 1871?
      Is it possible Mary might have remarried - although I cannot find anything at the moment.
      Elaine

Comment

Forget that last question!
        They seem to be around in 1881
        RG11; Piece: 3443; Folio: 79; Page: 32
        Elaine

Comment

1871 - a possible for Ellen - transcribed as Wadin
          RG10; Piece: 3622; Folio: 19; Page: 31
          Elaine

Comment

They do seem to be seriously elusive.

I've tried all sorts of less-is-more attempts without any success. Tho' I have put in a correction for one poor lad, saddled (in transcription) with the surname SO, while his parents were both COOK. Looking at the image, all the children actually had the surname "Do" - from which I inferred that they really shared the same surname as the parents. Sometimes "Do" triggers more of a "Doh" reaction, I think!

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine
              Thanks, I have found the birth reg for Emma and Charles and I think Helen is Ellen as that's the only one I can find.

Elaine
              As usual you have come up trumps for me. Thank you so much, I am forever in your debt.
              Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Christine, Thanks again, our posts crossed!
                Lynne

Comment

They are in Staveley in 1861 and 1881 - but they are hiding somewhere in 1871!
                  Elaine

Comment

Yes Elaine, mine are always elusive - LOL!!
                    I'm now looking for Alfred and Willie from 1881.

Edit: I have just noticed that Emma's middle initial is W in 1881 when it should be M so I will try variations beginning with M for the surname after I have cooked OH's tea.
                    Thanks both for your help.
                    Lynne

Comment

WOW, I think I've found them!
                      I searched for Willie with dob 1867 in Staveley and came up with Willie MARDER!
                      The only problem is the image is so faint I can hardly read it but I think it's them, minus Henry.
                      Lynne

Comment

I have saved the image and adjusted it and its looking a bit better. I think Henry is there but he was transcribed as Ann and Mary Ann was transcribed as Marie Ann.
                        Lynne

Comment

I think you are right with that one Lynne. Well spotted.
                          Elaine

Comment

Cheers Elaine, I couldn't have done it without your help!
                            Lynne

Comment

Working...
                            X