Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WW1 service papers on NAA (Australian National Archives)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 service papers on NAA (Australian National Archives)

Sometimes you can find out so much from them! (As with the ones on ancestry, of course)

Just found this letter in the papers of one of my rellies:
    23 Fitzroy Street,
    Milson's Point,
    9th Oct 1918

To the Officer in Charge of Military Base Office, Melbourne.

Sir,
    Would you kindly let me have all particulars of Charles Lambert Brown who enlisted I believe about 2 years ago. I am his mother and have only just heard that he has gone to the war. His address was Charles Lambert Brown, Cambooya, Queensland. If you would kindly let me know I should be very grateful as he is the only child that I have.
    And oblige,
    Julia A Brown.

They had to write back telling her that he had died in action two months previously. She had five sons altogether and the other four had all died in infancy or childhood. I was wondering why I couldn't find her death (nor her husband's second marriage). Have to look for a divorce now... when I've finished reading through all 61 pages of the army records, which also contains Charles's will (he left everything to his father except for his monogrammed gold watch which he left to his half-sister. I wonder whether he knew his mother was still alive?)
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

That's heartbreaking. Imagine receiving a letter like that.

You are right though you can get a lot of info of the NAA WW1 records. Occassionally you can get a photo too.
    Kit

Comment

There is lots of really interesting information in some of the service records.

One of my great-unlces' files had two letters dated 1963 included, relating to a will of his uncle who died without children, leaving his estate to the nieces and nephews. The estate needed to confirm great-uncles death to leave him out of the accounting.

Others are sad letters from mothers and fathers inquiring about their sons, and sometimes from lady friends.

One of the saddest service records I saw was for an 18 year old who enlisted in the last days of the War, in Oct 1918, but died of meningitis in Melbourne just days after the Armistice.

I can spend hours reading them !!

Kite - if looking for Julia Brown, Cambooya is close enough to NSW - I would check their records too.

Di
      Last edited by dicole; 17-09-08, 11:31. Reason: more info
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Yes, thanks, I keep hopping between the NSW and Queensland indexes, Di. I've found a possible death for her in NSW in 1928 (parents' names match what I think hers were) but no divorce on the NSW archives site. Of course, if they weren't divorced it would explain why I can't find her husband's second marriage!
        KiteRunner

Comment

The divorce records aren't complete yet Kate so it is possible she divorced. I'm not sure how often the site is updated so it may be a case of checking every now and then.
          Kit

Comment

Thanks, Kit, I will.
            KiteRunner

Comment

The online divorce index covers 1873-1923 so far.

Comment

I was/am doing some research for my niece and found her grandfather's WW1 service record on the NAA - complete with documents indicating the variation of the surname: a more recent letter addressed to him in his new-version-name at the address of his daughter (a recognised address in the family), referring to his old-version-name!

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Each set I look at seems to be longer than the last one - I'm working through an 85-page file at the moment!
                  KiteRunner

Comment

The relative whose file I'm reading now was originally from Essex, went over to farm in Oz and enlisted there but after being wounded, asked for a medical discharge so he could run the farms in Essex which his wife had inherited, and the file includes a form all about the farms, even giving the names and ages of all the farm workers!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                    X