Sorry to ask again - Bishop's Transcripts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to ask again - Bishop's Transcripts

I know I may have asked this before so apologies if I have!

As I am having trouble tracking the baptism of one of my ancestors, I wondered if it is worth me looking at the Bishop's Transcripts as well? I was trying to find Alice, but there are two entries in the Parish records for a Hannah born to the same parents, within 5 months, but no deaths for Hannah, so I wondered if one of the Hannahs should read Alice & maybe the BT's may hold a clue? What do you think?

Joanie

You won't know what is in the BTs unless you look, but as they are copied from the originals, I think they would almost certainly say the same thing.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

How do you know its the same parents?

Comment

I'd say it's always worth having a look at alternative records - but the Bishops Transcripts are just that - transcripts - so are less reliable than the registers. On the other hand, it's always possible that someone might have added a note.

The five month gap, though - I'd have thought that that's either one of those annoying families which have duplicate names in different parts of the family, or it's a record of a baptism at home followed by a reception into church when the child was strong enough.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Joan.... definitely worth a look.

The PRs for Hawkshead have all my Kirkby children's baptisms with name of mother and father...David Kirkby and Agatha.
          One child has Agnes as the mother.....I thought it was just a spelling error.

But the BT has it corrected saying........"Elizabeth Kirkby was the daughter of David Kirkby and his wife Agatha Sawrey. Agnes Kirkby was the mother of David Kirkby and daughter of Hugh Addison."

Gave me two more generations..

Comment

cam I ask what and where are the Bishops Transcripts please ??? thanks

Comment

Bishop's transcripts (BTs) were copies of the parish registers which were sent quarterly to the bishop. They are usually in the relevant county archives. Sometimes, where the original registers have been damaged, they are the only source of information.

Comment

oh thanks Nell so I presume you have to go to the relevant record offices to see them ????

Comment

Val,

Anyone who is interested in Suffolk parishes and can get to London is very fortunate: they will find handwrittten copies of virtually all the Suffolk BTs in the library of the Society of Genealogists.

Peter

Comment

oh really Peter ?? how lucky are they then .

Comment

Wow Peter that would be great for me as my Suffolk ones are some where the PR's were damaged.

Nell I am fairly certain they are the same parents as the surname was quite unusual fortunately!

What arosed my suspicion was the fact the entry after the 2nd "Hannah" was a birth to a lady called Alice, lol!! I am sure the vicar was either hungover or just got the kids muddled up!

I have checked the BT's recently at Herts RO for a marriage (the one that was on a Sabbath) & there was more info in them than on the PR's.

To settle it once & for all I think I need to double check & am hoping that it will say Alice & not Hannah! Even if the first Hannah had died, then there should have been a burial, which there wasn't.

Hannah had an illegitimate child in the 1760's, as did Alice (naughty girls lol) but there was no note by Alice's child's baptism, like there was with Hannah's to say he was base born. Her son then married using a different surname, baptised his children as Puttnam alias Vere so I think that it is definitely worth checking them in case something is mentioned about the alias bit too. Who knows I may be lucky!

Joanie

Comment

Hi Val

I was told they are a secondary source of info, & can be inaccurate so always use the Parish Records first.

You may be able to order them from the local Latter Day Saints centre (LDS) which is where I am off to today to order mine. When they come you get them on loan for around 3 months so there is plenty of time to have a look for them. They do make a small charge, about £3 at mine usually.

Joanie

Comment

I have to ask, Joan - you know when you said the two Hannah entries were five months apart, were you allowing for the old-style calendar in your calculations?
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I am not sure Kite.

It was 1739, does that help?

Joanie

Comment

What were the full dates, Joan?
                              KiteRunner

Comment

The first entry for Hannah was July 8th 1739 :
                                Hannah dau of George & Elizabeth Putnam

Then it is difficult to read but could be Oct or Dec 18th 1739
                                Hannah dau of George & Elizabeth Putnam

The name does vary in spelling (Puttnam, Puttenham, Putnam) throughout the PR's but there was only two in the village, possibly brothers, the other one was James Putnam married to Mary but their children seem to have been born from the 1750's onwards.

George was a Yeoman if that helps.

Joanie

Comment

Okay, well those months are all outside the confusion zone, so your calculations look right, Joan!
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

:D

Goodo !! I'm off out to order them then, lol!!

Joanie

Comment

Thanks Joan, I sometimes wonder where my head has been as there is such a lot I still dont know.

Comment

Working...
                                      X