Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Death

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit new to military records, and I was wondering if someone could help me with this:

Name: MASON, William

Regiment, Corps etc.: Corps of Royal Engineers

Battalion etc.:

Last name: Mason

First name(s): William

Initials: W

Birthplace: Edinburgh

Enlisted: Edinburgh

Residence:

Number: 40252

Date died: 25 September 1916

How died: Died of wounds

Theatre of war: Home

Supplementary Notes: (84TH FIELD COY., R.E.).

I am not 100% sure this is my ancestor at the moment as 'Edinburgh' is a bit generic sadly. I was wondering about the 'theatre of war' being 'home' - does this mean he didn't leave the uk? And what would the supplementary note be all about?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - thanks.
    Researching Harris, Mason, Murray, Dickson and Denovan in Scotland, Drury and Brady in Ireland, and Boothby, Gower, Waghorn, Blyth and Humphrey in England.

Are these the right parents? (info from CWGC website)

Name: MASON, WILLIAM
    Initials: W
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers
    Unit Text: 84th Field Coy.
    Date of Death: 25/09/1916
    Service No: 40252
    Additional information: Son of Isabella Mason, of 2, Harrison Rd., Edinburgh, and the late Thomas Mason.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 775.
    Cemetery: EDINBURGH EASTERN CEMETERY

Comment

Hello,

No, his parents were called Alexander Mason and Margaret Smith. So that rules that one out!

Where did you find that info?
      Researching Harris, Mason, Murray, Dickson and Denovan in Scotland, Drury and Brady in Ireland, and Boothby, Gower, Waghorn, Blyth and Humphrey in England.

Comment

From the Commonwealth War Graves site:

Do you know that your chap definitely died?

Comment

There are 163 W Mason's recorded who died in WW1. Some of them won't be "William", but a lot are and some are recorded as just W. Only a percentage have parents recorded, but it would be worth looking through them to see if yours shows up.

Comment

No, I don't. It's just that I can't find a death for him in Edinburgh and I though perhaps given his age (born in 1891) he might have died in WW1.

Of course he could have gone anywhere - I was jumping the gun a bit there I think!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
              There are 163 W Mason's recorded who died in WW1. Some of them won't be "William", but a lot are and some are recorded as just W. Only a percentage have parents recorded, but it would be worth looking through them to see if yours shows up.
              Oooh, thanks - I'll try that.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze B View Post
                Theatre of war: Home

Supplementary Notes: (84TH FIELD COY., R.E.). [/B]

I am not 100% sure this is my ancestor at the moment as 'Edinburgh' is a bit generic sadly. I was wondering about the 'theatre of war' being 'home' - does this mean he didn't leave the uk? And what would the supplementary note be all about?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - thanks.
                The medal card records the first posting which entitles the person to one or more war medals.

A friend's elder brother died in WWII on a beach in Norfolk during exercises of some sort. There must have been many others who died without being posted abroad.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X