X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libby!!!! Where are yooooouuuuu???

Guess where I went today?

Here's a clue......

Today was the anniversary of something........

Comment

well I'm intrigued..............
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

That's because you are in journalism

Hang on, I'll give you another clue as Libby seems to have vanished :(

Comment

It's to do with this small thread:

Comment

Well done, I thought you might have taken the kids there for a picnic over the weekend.

Find anything interesting??

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
              okay - I was with you until the bottom of page 1 and I realised there's another 25 to go through to get a clue

incidentally - as you mentioned it on p1, have you got the link to Bath BMD, please?
              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

*sobs* Libby's light has gone out......

Yes, Mary, not as much as I had hoped for, due to time constraints (though it isn't that far, it's still over 90 mins each way, due to the awful traffic.)

We had to pulll over to the side of the road no less than six times whilst extra-wide loads were taken past us (two mobile homes and a whole lot of army tanks on transporters!)

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                  incidentally - as you mentioned it on p1, have you got the link to Bath BMD, please?
                  Here we are, Zoe!

Bath Births Marriages & Deaths

Comment

*stares menacingly at Merry*

Are you going to tell us what you found, dear?

OC

Comment

Maybe??!

Comment

Will she or wont Merry tell, that is the question!

Aww I cant read all that small thread...tell tell tell please...

]

Comment

We went to look for a grave for Mary Bompiani.

OH phoned the bereavement services people at 9am and asked if they could check the cemetery records. They said "certainly" and would phone right back.

An hour later we couldn't wait any longer, so phoned again only to be told the lady who we had spoken to had gone to the Drs! lol So we took a chance and drove to Weymouth in any case.

We arrived at the cemetery at the same time as a funeral was just starting and had to scuttle past the hearse and undertakers (mourners already inside, thank goodness) in our brightly coloured and rather scruffy attire.

Went to the office where the very nice lady had come back from the Drs (turned out she was there on official business!) and had located the grave. She gave us a hand-drawn map of the cemetery and told us it was an easy grave to find (Hmmmmm). She asked about the unusual surname, so I rambled on about FTF/Australia/court painters etc etc. When I got to the end I realised the strains of All Things Bright and Beautiful from nextdoor had stopped, so apologies to the people at the funeral who didn't want to know about Mary at this time..........................

We drove to the cemetery and walked to the plot. NOTHING TO BE SEEN. The grave was marked but the stone was for a husband and wife called James and Maria Oxley (having looked at them and their ancestors this evening, I don't see any connection) We tried this side and that side and all round, but kept coming back to the Oxley grave as it was obviously the right one from the map.

It was only when OH stood really near the stone that he realised he was standing on another stone that was buried beneath the grass. Yes, that's right, it was "the one"!! lol (we should have taken a photo at this point but were a bit carried away - no one would believe there was anything there from two meters away!)

We should have also taken a shovel! lol. Anyway, after much digging and the sighting of 10,000 woodlice, centipedes and spiders we found her name on the stone!

In
                          Loving Memory
                          of
                          Mary Eyre Bompiani
                          daughter of the late
                          Myles Ariel
                          of Bristol
                          Died 12th September 1920 aged 86
                          R.I.P.

I'd post a photo, but they have to be blown up really big to get the right impression!

OH also took two videos of the cemetery to get a "general impression". Honestly, he sounds just like David Attenborough when he's near those gorillas!! pmsl!!
                          Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 15-09-08, 22:25.

Comment

Ooh, that's brilliant, Merry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                              Ooh, that's brilliant, Merry.
                              It was really stressful when we couldn't find it! lol

The grave was right next to the path and had been broken/vandalised more than once, I would think. It was one of those with three steps at the bottom (ie three squares of stone, one on top of the other). The top two steps had come adrift and were next to the bottom step and all under the grass. There had been a plain cross on top of the top step, but only the horizontal bar and the very top had survived - also buried. The lower part of the cross was completely missing.

I think the Oxleys may be buried in a different grave, despite their stone being on Mary's gravespace. There was a fat tree a couple of grave-spaces away and I wonder if the Oxley stone had been moved from that space if the tree dislodged it? I will phone and ask - the woman was really nice and helpful!

Comment

Well done Merry, Libby is going to be over the moon when she come online, it's just after 8am in Brisbane so she's probably having her breakie or a lie in are you planning to send her a video?
                                Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

This was after OH had rebuilt what could be rebuilt and we had scrubbed everything with plain water and rehoused all the insects!

Libby, I have a few high res photos to send you and two short video clips.

Comment

Originally posted by geordiegirl View Post
                                    Well done Merry, Libby is going to be over the moon when she come online, it's just after 8am in Brisbane so she's probably having her breakie or a lie in are you planning to send her a video?

Hi Daphne! Libby was on here earlier, but I missed her :(

She is welcome to OH sounding like David Attenborough.....lol (hushed tones) "This is Wyke Regis cemetery.....blah, blah"

Comment

Merry, that's a great photo and I'm sure Libby will be happy to have the video with or without a David Attenborough impersonator :D Such a shame the grave stones were damaged but at least you found them.
                                      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Well done, Merry. It looks nice and clean!
                                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                                        X