Augusta Vaughan - 1841 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augusta Vaughan - 1841 census

I have just found another relation from the 1800s whilst looking at a 1960 death notice in the Times! However I'm slightly mystified by it (not that it takes much these days :o) as this Augusta has never been on my radar.

The death notice of my cousin Kathleen Close gave her (very) late father's (Henry Walter Close) address as Newtown Park Dublin so I did some googling and came up with three sites:

The Gentleman's Magazine - Google Book Search

A Genealogical and Heraldic ... - Google Book Search

Nick Reddan's Newspaper abstracts part 10

I guess they can't all be inaccurate? One of them shows Kathleen's father as the 4th son - Henry Walter who married Eliza Mary Acton Pigott and the 7th son William John also married a sister of Kathleen's mother - Lucy Pigott and they in turn were Augusta's first cousins!

All these sites have the second son Robert Barry Close marrying Augusta eldest daughter of the Rev John James Vaughan of Gotham but for the life of me I have no idea how old she was when she married or where she is in the 1841 census. Her brother Henry aged 6 is with the Le Marchant family in Upton Grey Hampshire and the 3 youngest children at home in Gotham with their father but I'm stuggling to find Augusta.

The Rev Vaughan and his wife another Lucy Pigott married on 14 October 1830 and Lucy died on 12 June 1840. I think that Augusta must've been the first born as the first child I have is Henry in 1834.

I don't know whether she went on to have children etc I'll have to do some hunting but heaven help me if it means Ireland! I'm only just getting to grips with England and Wales!

NEW - I have found them both in the 1901 census living in St Leonards on Sea with their neice Augusta Vaughan visiting them! Robert died in 1908.
    Last edited by Bo the Bodger; 15-09-08, 21:05.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Hi,
    Here's the marriage of Augusta Vaughan to Robert Barry Close

Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
    District: Brixworth
    County: Northamptonshire
    Volume: 3b
    Page: 139

The 1901 census gives her age as68 therfore she was born C1833 making her about 22 when she married. I wonder if after the marriage they went to live in Ireland. Augusta may even have been in Ireland before the maariage and simply came back to get married!
    Researching in Ireland is a nightmare, there are no real census records apart from 1901 and 1911.

Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 16-09-08, 13:18. Reason: more thoughts

Comment

Working...
    X