Recovery Disk help required please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery Disk help required please

We have just bought a new lap top, as I was fed up with sharing the pc with hubby :D. It said on the box, that we should make a recovery disk as one wasn't supplied, however we don't really know what to do. When we were prompted to make one, my hubby followed the instructions but we don't think it went right. What exactly are you supposed to put on this disk? He ticked the box saying burn to disk & it just gave him the option to put his interent info on, which I am sure is not what it should be.

Please help, preferably in simple language.
    Lynn

What make/model is it Lynn ??
    https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Just a sec, E System 1211
      Lynn

Comment

Ok, that makes it slightly easier then

what type of disk did you use, and how long did it take ??

did the process look anything like this ??

Last edited by Grimsqueaker; 15-09-08, 21:31.

Comment

We used a cd-r, I am not really sure what the process looked like as i let hubby get on with it. I thought it would be simple enough to leave to him, but apparently not
          Lynn

Comment

if you used a CD-R it will not have created the media - You need a DVD-R to do that

Comment

Right, so we need to buy one of them & try again. That makes sense. Thanks Tim, I knew you would know. ;)
              Lynn

Comment

If you still have probs let me know...

Comment

Will do, thanks
                  Lynn

Comment

Grimsqueaker,

I have had my PC about fifteen months is it too late to make a boot disk just incase. Where would I find the program?

The only copy to disk program I have appears to be Windows ? but not sure where.

Cyberlink powerlink2go has never copied all my documents folder it just picks one or two items only very unstable.

I have got Nero 8 in a box still as it appeared to conflick with other programs on Vista.
                    Last edited by Margaret N; 15-09-08, 23:37.
                    Margaret N
                    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

You should still be ok Margaret....

What make and model is the PC ??

Comment

Grimsqueaker,

My PC is an Advent T9408 with Vista.

I am having second thoughts on this as if the PC had serious problems first I would consider taking it to the local Tip to join all the others.

Or I would have to get a Computer Buff to sort it. Maybe a computer repair person would need a copy of my particular PC version, not sure
                        Last edited by Margaret N; 16-09-08, 21:42.
                        Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Margaret, if you follow the link on post 4 above, the process is the same as for Lynn's laptop...

That should have you sorted

Comment

Grimsqueaker,

Many thanks.
                            Margaret N

Comment

Did you buy it from a dealer, they are supposed to supply a Recovery Disk with it according to Microsoft.

Large dealers like PC World, Dell and the likes use one master disk to install Windows onto all their PC's they then pay Microsoft a license fee every time they install Windows, part of that deal is that you are supplied with a Recovery Disk, this is basicly a copy of everything on your Hard Drive at the time of purchase, if something goes wrong you then have the option to go back to day one by installing the disk, this wipes everything and re-installs Windows to how it was when you bought it.
                              Best Wishes
                              Ron
                              www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Vista appears to be different.

We recently bought a new one and there is a leaflet enclosed saying

"Restore your system without discs. Your computer includes a new system recovert feature that does not require CD's or DVD's."

You can repair it from the hard drive but they also recommend you create your own discs in case you have a serious system failure or you can order them from HP (in our case)
                                Christine in Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Genealogy Printers View Post
                                  Did you buy it from a dealer, they are supposed to supply a Recovery Disk with it according to Microsoft.

Large dealers like PC World, Dell and the likes use one master disk to install Windows onto all their PC's they then pay Microsoft a license fee every time they install Windows, part of that deal is that you are supplied with a Recovery Disk, this is basicly a copy of everything on your Hard Drive at the time of purchase, if something goes wrong you then have the option to go back to day one by installing the disk, this wipes everything and re-installs Windows to how it was when you bought it.
                                  There is no requirement in the agreements with Microsoft that a physical disc must be supplied. All that is required is that the end user is supplied with the means to re-install Windows if required.

The majority of OEM's supply this re-installation method by way of a hidden partition on the hard drive that can be accessed by a keypress at boot. These OEMs also generally provide a utility that allows the end user to 'back up' this partition to a DVD, therefore giving them a 'Recovery Disc'

Comment

Just an update to say that I finally got round to making the recovery disc yesterday & after the first attempt which failed for some reason, I managed to do with no problems. Thanks Tim
                                    Lynn

Comment

Tim I have just got new lap top and Im sure when I first used it it said something about doing a disc but i carnt find where it said it on the comp or instructions ;;
                                      its a acer 5920 series one
                                      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

This Dell one I got in April came with a Boot disc - is that the same thing?

Comment

Working...
                                        X